When do you stop tipping the bottle ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beekeeperman

Reaction score
Just wondering how much you leave in the bottom of the bottle that has
some sediment in it.
In particular a 22 oz bottle .

Cheers ...............

I just pour gently until I start to see the trub appear and then stop; usually only enough is left to wet the bottom of the bottle.

I'd say it's a visual thing rather than a set % or number of ml. IMHO the aim should be getting the right balance between getting the beer out and having an amount of yeast that is acceptable to you, be that none or going Belgian and downing the yeast

I try to avoid too much bottle gurgling, say by holding the bottle maybe not even parallel to the ground to avoid stirring up the yeast too much and then slowly change the angle. When (if) I start seeing clumps of yeast heading towards the glass I'll stop the pour.

I basically let the yeast/sediment settle into the "shoulder" of the sideways bottle. It ends up being maybe a tablespoon or two of liquid.

Thanks for the input.
I admit to being a newbe so forgive me.
The 1st glass of beer (12oz} from a 22 ounce bottle is pretty clear but the
rest of the bottle has some haze to it.
Should I just get a bigger glass (20 oz.) and pour it all at once to avoid the sediment unlike the belgians ?

Yeah, generally you want to pour out the entire bottle in one shot. If you stop pouring and put the bottle back down, it'll mix the yeast in with whatever is left...

If you start with a gentle tipping and go until you fill a standard glass, you should be fine. Leave it out. Let it resettle. I get two amazing clean and full pours from bombers but I drink slow so I don't know what you pace is. I never get beyond horizontal and agree...let the yeast settle around the shoulder or stop pouring when you see it heading towards the neck.

Anyone else click on this thread thinking it was going to be another "am I a homebrewer alcoholic?" type thread?

I'm with the commentators that said to pour until what's coming out starts to look cloudy. Thing is, that will vary a bit from beer to beer since there may be a different amount of yeast in the beer, some yeasts flocculate better than others, and it seems that the longer a bottle sits undisturbed the better compacted the yeast gets.

"smooth out". :eek:

*shakes head*

I use 12 oz bottles and 2l PET bottles, the 12s aren't so bad but about the 4th or 5th pour off the 2l things get a bit cloudy. however if you keep the liquid above the yeast during your pour it helps to not mix it as much and keep a cleaner beer. That said at the bottom of a 2l I don't really care about my clarity anymore. ;-)

Usually just watch for yeast in the discharge. Sometimes the yeast settles out really well, and you can pour the whole bottle, like a SNPA. Lately, I have to leave about a half inch of beer if I don't wanna "git yeasty wit it".

I use a mix of Cooper's 750ml PET bottles, 710ml Sprite bottles (make fun if you want) and standard 12oz pry off beer bottles.

I find that with the Cooper's and Sprite bottles the sediment compacts very solidly into the 5 divots (wells?) in the bottom. A lot of the time I can completely drain the bottle without disturbing the sediemt eventhough I have to do two pours (none of my beer glasses are more than 500ml).

Like a couple here have said, when pouring a 12oz (flat bottom) glass bottle I stop when I notice sediment collecting in the shoulder.

I drink the yeast, and was pre diabetic before starting to home brew. Last checkups are all very good. I then did some research and found the following- but, yes some folks are very sensitive to the yeast and react badly with killer headaches:

Quoted from: http://vitamins.lovetoknow.com/Health_Benefits_of_Brewers_Yeast

Brewer's yeast is a byproduct of the beer industry. It absorbs vitamins and nutrients from the other ingredients involved in the brewing process. As the yeast absorbs nutrients it also absorbs flavors, which are often bitter. Some companies use a process to remove the bitterness from the product but often this also removes some of the nutritional content. In fact, during this process nearly all of the chromium will be removed. If you choose to use this type of brewer's yeast, you should add a chromium supplement.
Brewer's yeast is found in health food and natural food stores. There is no way to know the exact nutritional content in any brewer's yeast because it will vary according to the age of the yeast and even from batch to batch.
Nutritional Content:
Brewer's yeast has a high nucleic acid count. This is an important component of cell development. Other vitamins and minerals contained in brewer's yeast are:

Folic acid
B12
Potassium
Thiamin
Niacin
Chromium

It is low in calories, fat, sodium and carbohydrates, which makes it great for the person who has dietary restrictions for health reasons.
Some Health Benefits of Brewer's Yeast:

Using brewer's yeast daily as a supplement to your healthy diet can improve the following conditions:

Diabetes
Hypoglycemia
High cholesterol
Eczema
Nervousness
Stress
Carpal tunnel
Anemia
Fatigue
Constipation
Repels fleas when given to household pets

"If you use brewer's yeast to help control diabetes, be sure you get the type that has not gone through the debittering process. The nutrient in the yeast that helps with diabetes is chromium, the supplement that is removed during debittering. Chromium is also the part of the yeast that helps lower LDL (bad) cholesterol and raise HDL (good) cholesterol. The chromium in brewer's yeast is more bio-available, allowing the body to use it more effectively than the type found in supplements.

gonna have to try feeding my dogs some trub and see how that goes over.

Your digestive system adjusts to it over time. Kinda like switching to a high fiber diet is rough for a few days but then things kinda "smooth out". :eek:

How long is "over time"?! ive been drinking craft beer consistently for about a year and brewing for 4 months. Still explosive as day one!

How long is "over time"?! ive been drinking craft beer consistently for about a year and brewing for 4 months. Still explosive as day one!

Sorry to sound like a 'catch 21', but if yeast gives you gas, that is an indication your digestion will benefit by eating yeast. The b complex in yeast improves digestion, until that point, yeast gets into the intestinal track and boom. Have read there are some folks that always have trouble with live yeast and it's ability to ferment in the intestinal track can be dangerous!
I have always eaten the health food variety debittered yeast like candy. Love the taste, but had to build up to it.
Rambling, sorry! Short of it, 2 reasons for getting bloating from yeast, 1-inability to digest, improves with time, gas caused by intestinal bugs eating the yeast. Eating yogurt helps to set up the friendly intestinal bugs, and 2- inability to handle live yeast, yeast ferments in your intestines(BAD). In the beginning, everyone has the issue with both reason 1 and 2. Some never get used to tolerating live yeast.

Sorry to sound like a 'catch 21', but if yeast gives you gas, that is an indication your digestion will benefit by eating yeast. The b complex in yeast improves digestion, until that point, yeast gets into the intestinal track and boom. Have read there are some folks that always have trouble with live yeast and it's ability to ferment in the intestinal track can be dangerous!
I have always eaten the health food variety debittered yeast like candy. Love the taste, but had to build up to it.
Rambling, sorry! Short of it, 2 reasons for getting bloating from yeast, 1-inability to digest, improves with time, gas caused by intestinal bugs eating the yeast. Eating yogurt helps to set up the friendly intestinal bugs, and 2- inability to handle live yeast, yeast ferments in your intestines(BAD). In the beginning, everyone has the issue with both reason 1 and 2. Some never get used to tolerating live yeast.

No need to be sorry there! this is some info i can show my wife on why im dusting the crops half of the night! lol I never knew yeast can benefit digestion. thanks for the info! :mug:

Flboy - great info on the benefits to diabetics. Unfortunately, I have to imagine they are talking specifically about yeast tablets and not yeast in beer. They may be the same thing, but I would think the alcohol cancels out any positive effects from the yeast, no? I'm not diabetic, but my understanding was that you have to be really careful with alcohol.

Flboy - great info on the benefits to diabetics. Unfortunately, I have to imagine they are talking specifically about yeast tablets and not yeast in beer. They may be the same thing, but I would think the alcohol cancels out any positive effects from the yeast, no? I'm not diabetic, but my understanding was that you have to be really careful with alcohol.

Yeast tablets are not as helpful for diabetes, or more correctly, helping regulate blood sugar. Most tablets are debittered. The chromium is stripped out of the yeast. In my case, my Doctor gave me a pass on home brew. But I was only pre-diabetic, and it was diet related, not metabolic related. My big change was to eliminate any forms of fructose, corn sugar, etc. And at the same time, got back into brewing. I watched my weight drop 30 lbs and am back at a 30 inch waist! And my blood work is now good! Since I have always been eating the 'heath-food' yeast, it was killing me to dump out the yeast cakes from my brews and pay a fortune for the powder stuff.
In doing research on dangers/viability of eating left over yeast was when I stumbled into this information. Yes, have cross checked it thru multiple sources. FYI, the yeast is known to stimulate weight loss too! Biggest recommendation is to pasteurize the yeast if you are going to eat it, or add to food. Live yeast in large quantities can be very dangerous- you have seen what your fermenter can do!
KILLER mac and cheese-- add washed yeast! Great earthy taste and the cooking kills the yeast!

Is it possible to strain strain out any disturbed sediment
on the 2nd pour of a 22 0z. growler ?
Maybe through a coffee filter sitting in a small strainer or is
that overkill and need to put on my big boy pants ?
Seems after the 1st 12 0z. pour it gets stirred up a little even being
gentle with it.

A much taller glass would be the other option .
Could also be the beer needs more conditioning time to solidify
the sediment on the bottom more. Only been bottled 1 week.
Its like being a kid in the candy store being my 1st home brew ever. :)

There has got to be a place where I can get a jar of Vegemite here in the states...
Do you have a place called World Market? In So. Cal. it is Cost Plus World Market, but they're the same place. They have that as well as spotted dick (which was good when I had it in England), if you're so inclined.

:D

Is it possible to strain strain out any disturbed sediment

on the 2nd pour of a 22 0z. growler ?

Maybe through a coffee filter sitting in a small strainer or is

that overkill and need to put on my big boy pants ?

Seems after the 1st 12 0z. pour it gets stirred up a little even being

gentle with it.

A much taller glass would be the other option .

Could also be the beer needs more conditioning time to solidify

the sediment on the bottom more. Only been bottled 1 week.

Its like being a kid in the candy store being my 1st home brew ever. :)

I remember my first brew. It can be tough to be patient.

When I use 22oz bottles, I pour into two glasses and leave one in the fridge for a little while. Half way through the first glass, I take the second out of the fridge. This way I pour all at once (rims of the glasses touch each other) but I don't have warm beer in the bottom of a giant glass.

Edit: to answer your question, I personally would NOT pour through a filter. Seems like it would be a mess and there are easy ways to get around the issue.

Also just a though: I know a few people who are really into coffee. They claim you should never use a paper filter to make coffee because the paper absorbs oils from the coffee (they use fine steel screens similar to what is used on a French press). I would think this would happen to some extent with hop oils as well, but I doubt it would have a huge effect. Just a though.

Do you have a place called World Market? In So. Cal. it is Cost Plus World Market, but they're the same place. They have that as well as spotted dick (which was good when I had it in England), if you're so inclined.

:D

Our walmart carries spotted dick.

I remember my first brew. It can be tough to be patient.

When I use 22oz bottles, I pour into two glasses and leave one in the fridge for a little while. Half way through the first glass, I take the second out of the fridge. This way I pour all at once (rims of the glasses touch each other) but I don't have warm beer in the bottom of a giant glass.

Edit: to answer your question, I personally would NOT pour through a filter. Seems like it would be a mess and there are easy ways to get around the issue.

Also just a though: I know a few people who are really into coffee. They claim you should never use a paper filter to make coffee because the paper absorbs oils from the coffee (they use fine steel screens similar to what is used on a French press). I would think this would happen to some extent with hop oils as well, but I doubt it would have a huge effect. Just a though.

This is a bit off topic... but I was reading an article on coffee saying never to use those fine metal screen thingies for coffee (I still do anyway), because microparticles from past brews are too hard to clean out properly, and over time it'll build up, no matter how good you clean it, and lead to your coffee being too bitter.

I guess coffee nuts can't agree on anything either, so it's not just us homebrewers :p.

Problem solved. Found a heavy duty Slim Jim 30 oz beer mug in the storage closet, must have been from my drinkin days.
Takes 2 hands to lift it with 20 oz beer in it.
Stop tipping the bottle at about the 20 oz mark. All is good,
especially good if you frost the mug in the freezer first . :mug:

Back