First lager, not sure about ferm. temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrundleCruncher

Reaction score
I am making my first lager(DAB Dortmunder, Pilsner lager yeast) in celebration of the aquisition of my freezer chest w/ temp control, but I'm not sure what temp to ferment and condition at.

I let it sit at about 65deg F until fermentation started and I'm taking it down to 50 for the duration of fermentation.

After fermentation was over I was going to bring it up to about 62-65 for a diacetyl rest.

During conditioning I was going to slowly take the temp down to about 36 or so over a two week span hold it there for two to three weeks then I was going to keg or bottle it.

Are these temps and times about accurate, Im just worried because I've been told to ferment at 65 by one source but 50 from another, thats a big difference.

Opinions are like A..holes. Everyones got one. I got mine.
First, to do a D rest, you need to wait until your fermentation is about 2/3 the way to completion. Raise the temps by about 10f from your primary temps ( which I believe should be around 50f from start to finish ) and leave there until all fermentation has ceased.

Now for some controversy.... I believe in starting a lager fermentation at your fermenting temps and this includes when pitching your yeast. This way avoids
the creation of fusels and esters which don't belong in a true lager. But you have to pitch the correct amount of healthy yeast so your fermentation takes off as it should. Normal lager fermentation temps range from 48f to 54f depending on yeast selected. When actually lagering after fermentation is finished your temps should be around 34f for 1 month or more ( to improve the flavour )

Cheers and good luck

boo boo said:
Opinions are like A..holes. Everyones got one. I got mine.
First, to do a D rest, you need to wait until your fermentation is about 2/3 the way to completion. Raise the temps by about 10f from your primary temps ( which I believe should be around 50f from start to finish ) and leave there until all fermentation has ceased.

Now for some controversy.... I believe in starting a lager fermentation at your fermenting temps and this includes when pitching your yeast. This way avoids
the creation of fusels and esters which don't belong in a true lager. But you have to pitch the correct amount of healthy yeast so your fermentation takes off as it should. Normal lager fermentation temps range from 48f to 54f depending on yeast selected. When actually lagering after fermentation is finished your temps should be around 34f for 1 month or more ( to improve the flavour )

Cheers and good luck

I arggressively,stalwartly, concur, FWIW....:) Espesially the Clint Eastwood quote.
BTW, do you use a settling tank for your wort before pitching? Few yrs ago i got real anal about wort clarity, even used a filter for a while, then switch to letting it settle for a while at 32f before pitching.......:eek: ........

SKOL !!:mug:

Hmm, interesting.
I like the idea of pitching at fermentation temp, I didn't really think about that, it raises some questions:
Do cool the wort in the brewpot, fermenter or some other conatainer
Do lagers require a greater pitch than ales?
Would you let a starter get going at fermentation temps?
What would be the consequences of generating a starter at room temp?

Latest posts

Back