Liquid post leak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ttownbrewer

Reaction score
First time kegging, force carbed for 2 weeks no liquid hooked up. Went down the other day to check it out, tapped the ball lock to the liquid side, and set the co2 to serving pressure. All was good with carbonation, etc.... Until, there was a puddle of beer on the floor.

Seems to be leaking underneath the post. Is there a way to fix temporarily, or is the keg pretty much done? I just bought them, and the shop said they were good. Guess I should of checked for leaks before filling.

Anybody got any ideas?

Well if it didn't leak before you hooked up the liquid disconnect, then I would say the post and o rings must be ok. It sounds like it would be the disconnect. Do you have another one to try?

DanH said:
Well if it didn't leak before you hooked up the liquid disconnect, then I would say the post and o rings must be ok. It sounds like it would be the disconnect. Do you have another one to try?

I hooked up 3 different disconnects, same result each time.. It's leaking from where the post comes out of the dip tube, under the hex that tightens.

I can take some pictures to post if that helps to explain it.

But it's not leaking if there's no quick disconnect installed? I think that's the confusing part, the dip tube / post / poppet is under pressure regardless of whether or not the QD is attached. So if it's leaking then, it should be always leaking.

Either way you can fix this and the beer will be fine, no worries. As a first shot I'd try tightening the post a little more (don't overdo it, there's an o-ring in there). If that doesn't work I'd release the pressure on the keg, undo the post and replace the dip tube o-ring.

I had a poppet that was the wrong size once and lot made the QD fit incorrectly. Does yours snap down onto the post correctly?

Everything fits correctly. I'm going to run by the LHBS today and grab a couple more QD's, and o rings just in case I have to tear it apart! Let you know if it works.

Thanks guys for your input, I appreciate it!

Take the keg with you. They can diagnose/repair.

Turned out the o ring on the dip tube was the culprit. Changed that out, and its all good. A learning experience for sure. Thanks guys for leading me the right direction!

Latest posts

Back