By Golly do I love a good porter.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do as well. Hear, Hear!

Speaking of, Gordon Strong had two local Oregon brewers brew his recipe for the talk he gave today and it was fan-****ing-tastic. A wonderful smelling brown porter. If I could brew one tasting that great I don't think I would ever brew anything else.

If you are an AHA member, the entire talk will be posted on the members section of the AHA site within a couple of weeks. It's worth a listen/look.

My first homebrew way back in 1992 was a porter because I was a fan of Wild Goose's porter. Now it's tied for first as my favorite style, along with about ten or fifteen other styles! ;)

Still, Porter is a sentimental favorite.

I used to not like them if it wasn't a robust porter. I appreciate the more mild versions quite a bit now. Cheers! :mug:

I absolutely love Porter. I am planning to brew one later in the year based on a historical whitbred recipe. I can't wait! I really dig brown malt

Here here. Was gonna buy some edmund fitzgerald today... But it wasnt cold. Porter is probably my favorite style. I think its super versatile and enjoyable anytime of the year

Tykees said:
Here here. Was gonna buy some edmund fitzgerald today... But it wasnt cold. Porter is probably my favorite style. I think its super versatile and enjoyable anytime of the year

Cold??

45-50 degrees, please and thank you.

Had a cellar temp cask aged porter from a local brewpub that was superb

I bought a extract kit because it was on sale, 20% off. Brewcraft USA's premium "Streets of London Porter". It was my 3rd attempt at brewing, and I only bought it because it was on sale. I normally don't care for "heavy" beers. This kit turned me around, opened my eyes, and actually made me appreciate other different styles of beer. That 3rd brew produced a beer I liked so much I almost didn't want to drink it and have it be gone. My second attempt (6th brew) of a porter was MoreBeer's "Ray's Snowflake Smoked Porter". So good you can have it with breakfast :eek:.I'm down to the last 2 6 packs :( I like blondes, wheat's, red, amber,& pale ales, Ipa's & lagers. But I love a good Porter, so Here, Here.:mug:

I'm fairly proud of the porter recipe I have posted here. You can check it out under my recipe list. I took the category in the 2011 contest Yooper held (props ;)) here. I worked on that recipe for a long time before finally realizing that the BJCP guidelines for the style were not what I was looking for. I believe for this awesome style of beer, the BJCP is off base, and boxes you in to 3 very different styles of beer, while ignoring the fact that draught Guinness, aka Dry Irish Stout, is much closer to the historical porter style than the guidelines seem to be.

HERE HERE

Sure love my Porter

My first 2 Porters were extract, they were good, the one I'm drinking now is my first AG and it a step above :ban:

Toy4Rick

Here, here!

My vanilla bourbon porter (3rd batch ever brewed) has been a major hit with everyone; even my friends/family that only enjoy the "lite" stuff. Helped me realize it is now my favorite style.

Thanks for supporting the porter brew. It's a last of a dying breed. Can I get some ag recipes from you all. I have an extract fermenting now. In the boil I added cinnamon nutmeg clove and ginger. Hoping to have a "holiday style porter". Wish me luck. Here here!

I like your thoughts there ferg. holiday porter. Although I was thonking of doing a porter series a fruit porter, a pumpkin spice porter, holiday porter, vanilla bean porter, and coffee porter. Maybe make a big batch and split it five ways

I'm a huge fan of porters as well. Just brewed a smoked vanilla this past monday.
18 lbs crisp maris otter
2 lbs 8 oz dingemans belgian chocolate
2 lbs peated malt
1 lb crystal 60
8 oz crystal 120
8 oz carafa II
mashed at 158*
1.5 oz nugget 60 min 13%aa
1 oz challenger 15 min 5.3%aa
.5 oz nugget 5 min 13%aa
Pitched onto a 1450 yeast cake that took off like crazy and ripped right through it. This was an 11 gallon batch. Smoked malt is coming through perfect.. assertive but not overpowering. gonna toss in some vanilla beans and probably let it sit for 2 weeks before kegging.

Tykees said:
I like your thoughts there ferg. holiday porter. Although I was thonking of doing a porter series a fruit porter, a pumpkin spice porter, holiday porter, vanilla bean porter, and coffee porter. Maybe make a big batch and split it five ways

I brewed the DFH "Punkin' Porter" (extract/pm version in the back of Sam's book) and everyone loved it! Opened my last deuce on our anniversary and shared tastes with the in-laws to general acclaim. It was a bit thin to me, however, compared to the Robust Porter I just brewed. Either way, "Hear, hear!"

Here, here!

Edmund Fitzgerald is still one of my favorite commercial brews. It's the beer that started me thinking 'if I could brew something like this, I'd probably never buy beer again'.

The 'Black Widow' robust porter from Brewing Classic Styles is a great beer as well. I've made it a couple times and it's always been a crowd pleaser.

Back