Replacing Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aldousbee

Reaction score
Hi I'm planning to make a Wit beer/Hoegaarden clone. However I am having a hard time sourcing wheat. There isn't much wheat here except flour ( all purpose, bread and cake flours - all bleached). I was thinking of using rice because we have lots of rice here. I'm not particular about sticking to the style, I just want it to be "close" to the taste/flavor of Wit beer.

Can i use rice as a substitute? How about flour + rice hull?

Are you using extract? If you are, to be honest I would not worry about it. Just use extract and then the orange/coriander and the wit yeast and you'll be fine.
If you're AG, you're just going to need it. You could get by with unmalted wheat, especially for a wit. It'd be more to style than the white wheat everyone uses.

The flour + rice hulls is an interesting idea. Might make for one hell of a mess. You're going to need a lot of rice hulls.

Do not just use rice.

I will use all grain both for Malt and Wheat (or rice). Sorry but I can't seem to get your explanation. Why couldn't I replace wheat with rice? Does wheat have a flavor profile very different from rice?

aldousbee said:
I will use all grain both for Malt and Wheat (or rice). Sorry but I can't seem to get your explanation. Why couldn't I replace wheat with rice? Does wheat have a flavor profile very different from rice?

In short yes. It's way different. You can't sub rice for wheat.

most light BMC lagers like Coors made with up to 30% rice or corn and they don't taste like wit at all. Rice will thin your beer out, it has almost no flavour. I would not use rice in wit beer as substitute. Not sure about flour

I think you can find flaked wheat at the grocery in the bulk isle or maybe research cream of wheat cereal. I think someone here has used it before.

I'll probably use wheat flour + rice hulls. I'm from the Philippines we got tons of it here.

Back