Coopers stout suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

casperjah

Reaction score
Hi, just pit a Coopers stout in primary. I have to add another 5 litres of water after it surges. Any suggestions about adding to the 5 litres of water welcome. I was thinking of chocolate or something similar. I added some espresso ground coffee already so now worried it may be too acidic or bitter. Suggestions welcome, thanks.

What exactly do you mean by "adding water after it surges"? Folks have added cooked cooled coffee,& cacao nibs as well.

It tends to foam a lot so I add 18 litres of the 23 liters needed. Then another 5 of cool boiled water after the surge. It can foam out of the airlock otherwise.

Thanks BTW! What are cacao nibs? Don't think I van get them here in Ireland, looking for something I can add from supermarket or local hbs

Well,the thing is,once you top it off originally,you don't add any more water. It'll weaken the brew,making it lighter in body. In other words,watered down.

Yes thanks I am only adding water up to the recommended 23 litres, no more. Don't want it too weak.

Ok,I see. I use Cooper's cans as a base for many different ales. Cacao nibs (pronounced cucow in South America)are bits of cacao beans that are used in brewing. Some LHBS have them. If not,look on line. Gives good flavor without the added hassle of cocoa powder.

My Coopers stout went down really well. My added coffee made a little difference if at all. Will look out for those cacao nibs, thanks for suggestion. Unfortunately its all gone just as it was getting perfect. The skill of patience has yet to be learned ;-(

I use a blow off tube the first 3-4 days of initial,vigorous fermentation. That lets the FV vent all the extra co2 & krausen foam into the .5 gallon jug I have the other end stuck in. I fill the jug about 1/3 full of water with a splash of starsan.
When initial fermentation slows down,I replace the blow off with a clean airlock filled with cheap vodka.

I use a blow off tube the first 3-4 days of initial,vigorous fermentation. That lets the FV vent all the extra co2 & krausen foam into the .5 gallon jug I have the other end stuck in. I fill the jug about 1/3 full of water with a splash of starsan.
When initial fermentation slows down,I replace the blow off with a clean airlock filled with cheap vodka.

The blow off tube also allows you to top up with all 23 liters the first time you close the lid on your bucket or carboy. Ireland, beautiful country aye. Cheers:mug:

My Coopers stout went down really well. My added coffee made a little difference if at all. Will look out for those cacao nibs, thanks for suggestion. Unfortunately its all gone just as it was getting perfect. The skill of patience has yet to be learned ;-(

See if you can find UnSweetened Cocoa powder at the supermarket if you can't find the nibs.

BOBrob said:
The blow off tube also allows you to top up with all 23 liters the first time you close the lid on your bucket or carboy. Ireland, beautiful country aye. Cheers:mug:

'tis to be sure' now I know what a blow off tube is.
'.

Back