Too early to keg a Blond ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmarcoux

Reaction score
I have two new batches brewing away, a Texas Blond Ale and an American IPA. However, I just found out that I have friends coming in at the end of March and I'd like to serve them some homebrew. I'm assuming since the Blond Ale is much simpler in nature than the IPA, that the IPA would benefit the most from the conditioning time, but wanted to get some advice on which would fair better?

I've "rushed" to drink other beers and most are drinkable. Just looking for the right one to pick. Feel free to tell me to leave them alone and go buy beer - I can take it, but it will hurt:cross:

Thanks is advance

No. The IPA shouldn't really be conditioned for much longer than a week or two after active fermentation has ended. After that, the alpha acids and aroma compounds will begin to break down, and the beer will start tasting stale. My IPAs peak after about four weeks in the bottle, and then start to get worse not better.

The Blond Ale will last longer because hops are a smaller part of its flavor profile. It will definitely stale eventually but, all things being equal, it's the more stable beer.

those are two beers that are good when you drink them young. my blond ales are drinkable after a week,IPA.s get one extra week for dry hopping. but I keg..

Seems I made some lucky choices. The blond is racing through fermentation and should be ready for conditioning soon. That sounds like the winner!

Thanks!

Back