yeast experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powerslave73

Reaction score
Ok so I wanted to do a yeast experiment. What I did was brewed a blonde using the 1762 wyeast. My primary fermenter is a 12 gallon bucket. After krausen dropped i put it into secondary, then proceeded to put another batch on top of the left over yeast. well I repeated this process two more times. The one i have going now will be the last and 4th batch on the same yeast. when I started this batch it had approx 3/4 inch of yeast in the bottom of the 12 gallon bucket,and i had krausen in 2 hrs. the SG was 1.070. Any ideas if this beer will turn out? it looks and smells normal! what is your opinion?

It's your experiment, let us know what happens. Having a predetermined result in your head isn't going to help.

Yes. It will cause a decrease in esters in phenols because the yeast will not be reproducing. It can also cause attenuation problems when the yeast is reused several times as you have done. Essentially the yeast don't create new cells therefore your yeast would be become unhealthy overtime instead of young and fresh. How many times can you repitch before this becomes an issue? I don't know. I'd say this experiment could be a way to find out. There also comes a point where you have more yeast than food at which point most of it would drop out leaving your beer underattenuated. I would suspect that at this point your beer just got cleaner and cleaner from batch to batch essentially leaving no esters behind in the final batch which may or may not be true to syle. By the way this all a summary of something I read from a white labs dude. So tell us how it turns out. I'm interested.:D

Agree with the lowered ester profile, but other than that its not a big deal. 1.070 is a pretty big beer, depending on the previous brews you may still get some yeast growth. (read esters esters).

We'll have to see what happens. Like I said it is rolling like crazy! When I crack the lid and take a sniff the C02 takes your breath away. So i know it is doing something. I usually let it sit on the cake for at least 15 days. Then I secondary for at least 7 more before force carbonating. I am hoping it ferments out really dry with all that yeast.

Back