Santa Maria

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walker

I use secondaries. :p
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Dry US-05
Yeast Starter
nope
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
?
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
7-8 srm
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @ 68*F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @ 68*F
Tasting Notes
Good
GRAIN

• 8.0 lb 2-Row
  • 1.0 lb Munich (10L)
  • 1.0 lb Victory
  • 0.5 lb Crystal 20L
  • 0.5 lb Carapils
Mash @ 154*F for 60 minutes

HOPS

• 0.5 oz Columbus (13.7%) @ 60 minutes
  • 1.0 oz Columbus (13.7%) @ 20 minutes
  • 1.0 oz Columbus (13.7%) @ flameout

YEAST

• one packet dry US-05
I don't make starters for dry and I don't rehydrate it either.

Ferment for 2 weeks @ 68*F.
Rack to secondary for another 2 weeks @ 68*F.
Keg and drink.

Walker, what category is this recipe fit under? Looks like it might be an amber/red with the munich and victory giving it a biscuit flavor.

I try to not get too hung up on styles, but this fits more into the pale style than it does amber.

The Munich gives it some richness and the victory gives it a little toasty flavor.

I've only made this one three times total. It was the recipe I used for my first AG batch a few years ago. Brewed it again several months ago when I got back on the homebrewing horse after a year or so long break, and then brewed it last night for my first HERMS batch.

I'm sure I'll tweak it some more before I am 100% happy with it.

I usually don't focus too much on styles either. I really just try and have something a little different in each of my 6 kegs available and this one looked interesting when I saw it. I will give it a swing and see what comes out of it!

I bet you had a good time making this on your new rig! I saw your other thread about your set up. Congratulations! I hope to settle on a new system soon. Been doing lots of research into HERMS vs. RIMS (think I am doing the RIMS).

I just entered this into Beer Alchemy. I'm gonna make it after my next batch. Thanks for sharing, I like how this recipe looks. Beer Alchemy has it coming out a more pale color than I think it will turn out, but color is not that program's strong point in my experience.

I bet you had a good time making this on your new rig! I saw your other thread about your set up. Congratulations! I hope to settle on a new system soon. Been doing lots of research into HERMS vs. RIMS (think I am doing the RIMS).

:off:, but it's my thread so....

I went HERMS because I already had the copper coil and figured I could get away with one heater element instead of two, so it seemed overall cheaper to do it that way.

If I ever decide to change my mind, I can add a RIMS tube to the system and brew that way instead. There is room in the control panel to add another heater element and the controls are all there already.

:off:, but it's my thread so....

:mug:

I put this in my Beersmith and came up with 7.8 SRM and the IBU right on at 51.5 (using Columbus)

The way that I tend to ferment (low and slow) I hope to get it down to 1.010 which gives it a 5.74% ABV. I don't currently have any Columbus hops, so what do you think of using Centennial instead?

=what do you think of using Centennial instead?

Sure... why not? I'm sure it'll be good either way. :mug:

Having lived in Santa Maria for a breif period I have to ask why did you name it that?

Because of the "Columbus" hops. Santa Maria sounded better than "Nina" or "Pinta". :D

The full name of the recipe, because of the columbus hops as well as the fact that it was my very first AG brew, was originally "Santa Maria's Maiden Voyage".

Sure... why not? I'm sure it'll be good either way. :mug:

Because of the "Columbus" hops. Santa Maria sounded better than "Nina" or "Pinta". :D

The full name of the recipe, because of the columbus hops as well as the fact that it was my very first AG brew, was originally "Santa Maria's Maiden Voyage".

I guess if I had not spent time there I would have gotten the association. :D

The recipe evolved a little bit. Changes from original version are highlighted below. Some were unavoidable (hop AA changed), some was intentional (grainbill, mash temp, and fermentation temp) and some was accidental (did 2nd hop addition at 25 when I should have done it at 20).

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Dry US-05
Yeast Starter: nope
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.053 (75% efficiency)
Final Gravity: ?
IBU: 57
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 8-9 srm
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 days @ 64*F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 days @ 64*F
Tasting Notes: ... time will tell

GRAIN

• 7.5 lb 2-Row
  • 1.5 lb Munich (10L)
  • 1.0 lb Victory
  • 0.5 lb Crystal 40L
  • 0.5 lb Carapils
Mash @ 157*F for 60 minutes

HOPS

• 0.5 oz Columbus (16.6%) @ 45 minutes
  • 1.0 oz Columbus (16.6%) @ 25 minutes
  • 1.0 oz Columbus (16.6%) @ flameout

YEAST

• one packet dry US-05
I don't make starters for dry and I don't rehydrate it either.

I am brewing this (the original recipe) the day after Christmas but substituting wheat for the carapils since my LHBS didn't have any today. I'll let you know how it turns out :)

cool. this has become one of my favorite recipes. I pretty much brew it once a month, but I think I am officially going to have to list the crystal as C40 for now.

I am going to brew it again on Thursday to get it ready for the super bowl, and I'm out of C40, so I am debating on whether to drop back to C20 or jump up to C60. :D

cool. this has become one of my favorite recipes. I pretty much brew it once a month, but I think I am officially going to have to list the crystal as C40 for now.

I am going to brew it again on Thursday to get it ready for the super bowl, and I'm out of C40, so I am debating on whether to drop back to C20 or jump up to C60. :D

I am trying to put this into BeerTools and this is my first time using this software. There are many different types of Munich... can you tell me which one you used? 10L, 20L, Traditional European etc. ?

I asked my LHBS for the ingredients over the phone. I just asked for Munich... neither of us specified so now I'm wondering which one he gave me also :)

I am new to All grain brewing...this is the first recipe that I am doing that isn't from a "kit" from a store but one that you put together. Thanks for any info you can offer.

I am trying to put this into BeerTools and this is my first time using this software. There are many different types of Munich... can you tell me which one you used? 10L, 20L, Traditional European etc. ?

I'll fix that. I make it with light Munich (10L).

I asked my LHBS for the ingredients over the phone. I just asked for Munich... neither of us specified so now I'm wondering which one he gave me also :)
I wouldn't sweat it too much. The history here is that this was the recipe I created for my very first AG brew and I had never used Munich before. I just went into my LHBS and bought some Munich grain. I don't even think they offered multiple varieties at that time, so I can't even tell you what I used that very first time.

Every batch I have made in the past year has been Munich 10L.

Cool thanks again Walker. One mor question if you don't mind... the hop % change in 1 year?

Yeah. Hop AA's change all the time it seems. I had pellet hops from one year and whole hops from another year in my freezer and the AA was different on them. but I sometimes wonder if it's even true that the same kind of hop grown on two different farms will have different AA in the same year.

I always check the AA on the bags and adjust if there is a major difference.

Several years ago, I bought a bunch of cascades from an online vendor. When they arrived, individually bagged in 1oz packs, there was a mix of two different AAs.

Seems to me that since the AA% is a function in part of growing conditions, they would likely be similar but not identical in a given year even among farms located in a pretty similar geography. There aren't that many commercial hop farms (didn't I read that there were only like 50 in the country?), but there's enough where they can't all be identical. They do talk about some years' crops being bad, which I would imagine must be due to general climate issues - there were some Saaz a couple years back that came in at 1%, IIRC.

If anyone is interested, the batch I am going to make Thursday is going to swap Maris Otter for the domestic 2-row. I've never tried MO before, and want to see if it's worth the extra money.

Well... that's not entirely true. I have a SMaSH of Maris Otter and Fuggles in secondary right now, but I want to use the MO on this Santa Maria recipe because I have brewed (and drank) so much Santa Maria this year that I think it will be a better way for me to evaluate the MO. That SMaSH recipe was brand new and would be an apples to oranges comparison.

Beer tools is showing the "Bittermess" as 54.1 does that sound right? I didn't expect it to be as bitter as this is saying it will be.

EDIT: How do you think this would taste if I only use .5oz of hops at 45min instead of the full 1oz? My lady doesn't like very hoppy beer :D

Beer tools is showing the "Bittermess" as 54.1 does that sound right? I didn't expect it to be as bitter as this is saying it will be.

For the original recipe, ProMash calculates 50 IBU.
For the modified recipe, ProMash calculates about 56 IBU.

It's got some bitterness to it for sure, but I wouldn't call it a "very bitter" beer by any means.

EDIT: How do you think this would taste if I only use .5oz of hops at 45min instead of the full 1oz? My lady doesn't like very hoppy beer :D

You've got me confused. Are you brewing the original recipe or the modified one?

The original has no 45 minute addtion.
The modified has a 45 min addition, but it's already only 0.5oz.

You've got me confused. Are you brewing the original recipe or the modified one?

The original has no 45 minute addtion.
The modified has a 45 min addition, but it's already only 0.5oz.

I'm sorry. I am using the original grain bill with the modified hop schedule. I am thinking of doing it like this:

0.5 oz Columbus @ 45 minutes
0.5 oz Columbus @ 25 minutes
1.0 oz Columbus @ flameout

I am very new to all grain brewing and this is the first time I am using a recipe that wasn't just put together and packaged for me. Do you think that hop schedule would cut back on the bitterness and still taste good? Thanks again, I appreciate all of your help.

I'm sorry. I am using the original grain bill with the modified hop schedule. I am thinking of doing it like this:

0.5 oz Columbus @ 45 minutes
0.5 oz Columbus @ 25 minutes
1.0 oz Columbus @ flameout

I am very new to all grain brewing and this is the first time I am using a recipe that wasn't just put together and packaged for me. Do you think that hop schedule would cut back on the bitterness and still taste good? Thanks again, I appreciate all of your help.

Personally, if I was trying to cut back on the bitterness, but keep the same hop flavor, I would leave the full 1oz in at 25 minutes but cut back on the 45 minute addition size.

In ProMash, the modified recipe comes out at 56.6 IBU.

If (as an example) you cut the 45 minute addition from 0.5oz to 0.25oz, it will drop the IBUs to 41.7.

I'm FINALLY brewing this tonight. As I said earlier this is my first non-kit recipe, I'm just wondering why you chose 5.5 gallons instead of 5... is it just so you have more beer at the end? I noticed a lot of the recipes online are 5.5 gallons but most of the grain kits are only 5 gallons. Thanks again!

5.5 is how much i end up with in my kettle at boil's end. there is deadspace in my kettle, so only 5.25 makes it into the fermenter. later when i rack it a couple times, i lose a littlw more.

so, with 5.5 gallon batches, i end up with 5 in a keg.

Ok, I'm just using 1 primary fermenter. Do you think for my mash/sparge calc it's ok to put 5 gallons as the batch size?

It is fine to use 5 gallons as your batch size, but just realize that you will end up with 4 - 4.5 gallons in your keg at the end of the process since there will be a fair sized yeast cake/trub pile left when you rack over to your keg.

It is fine to use 5 gallons as your batch size, but just realize that you will end up with 4 - 4.5 gallons in your keg at the end of the process since there will be a fair sized yeast cake/trub pile left when you rack over to your keg.

Ok, I am bottling but it works out the same; you're right. I'm sparging now so I'm going to add a bit more sparge water.

Thanks again.

Ok, this will be my LAST question as the night is FINALLY over. What do you normally hit for your final gravity? I don't know what the heck I did... I used the calc at brew365.com for my mash/sparge and ended up with 5.75 gallons in the end and an OG of 1.060. That OG is before temperature correction though...

Bottled this up late last night. OG was 1.060 and FG, 1.003. I'm not sure what I screwed up or if my LHBS didn't give me the right about of grain. In any case, it tasted pretty good flat and young.

Sorry for the lag in response. I somehow got unsubscribed from my own thread and didn't see your questions. :eek:

Ok, this will be my LAST question as the night is FINALLY over. What do you normally hit for your final gravity? I don't know what the heck I did... I used the calc at brew365.com for my mash/sparge and ended up with 5.75 gallons in the end and an OG of 1.060. That OG is before temperature correction though...

I never check final gravity. Ever. :D

Bottled this up late last night. OG was 1.060 and FG, 1.003. I'm not sure what I screwed up or if my LHBS didn't give me the right about of grain. In any case, it tasted pretty good flat and young.

Perhaps you just have a higher efficiency than I do. I get 75%, and this recipe (the most recent one in my post from 7/27/10) makes 5.5 gallons of 1.055 wort.

If I were to make only 5 gallons, it would be 1.061.

You ended up with 5.75 gallons of 1.060, but that was without correction, so we really don't know what you got as a real gravity. If the sample was warm, then it means that the gravity was actually HIGHER than 1.060 (it gets thicker as it cools).

Your efficiency is either up in the high 80%'s or your grain bill wasn't quite right.

Either way, it'll be beer. :mug:

Hey Walker... this beer was in bottles for 1 week and I couldn't resist trying one. It came out pretty friggin awesome. Now that I know there aren't any off flavors etc I'll let them sit another 2 weeks before enjoying. Anyway, thanks for the recipe it really is a good one. A bit hoppy for my GF but I like it... tastes like an American pale ale. Peace!

Back