Heating Water in sink for cheese

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thdewitt

Reaction score
I have read a few books on cheese making now and they are not very specific about how you add water to the sink to increase the temperature. For instance. My recipe says to increase temperature 1 degree every 2 minutes over 30 minutes. So, what temp water do you need to add to the sink. Do you add one temp and it takes 30 minutes. or do you keep adding water and draining the sink or just keep adding hot water. If you add hot water, what temp should it be at.

I hope someone understands my question. I will be making a farmhouse cheddar today and a gouda tomorrow.

Tom

i raised the temp in the sink a couple of degrees by adding hot tap water and stirring the curd to keep the temp even on my first batch. then add more hot as needed and draining the sink as required
now i use a roast pan full of water with my cheese pot in it on the stove to control the temps better.
by the way - i still get my temps jumping up more than a degree at a time - i just try to keep it warming slowly. i am no expert - haven't even tried my first cheese yet.

Hey Yooper,

One question about the double broiler set up. When you have to hold the temp for say 45 minutes, do you put a towel over the setup and just leave it in the broiler or do you put your pot in a sink full of hot water.

Thanks,
Tom

Hey Yooper,

One question about the double broiler set up. When you have to hold the temp for say 45 minutes, do you put a towel over the setup and just leave it in the broiler or do you put your pot in a sink full of hot water.

Thanks,
Tom

I usually just leave it where it is, and check the temperature to make sure it isn't going up.

Double boiler idea is best if you have the available material. I place mine on an electric heating plate and control that with my PID controller. I monitor and control the water in the primary pot and keep a thermometer in the secondary (milk or cheese pot). My PID controller varies the electrical output from 0-120 volts so I get very tight temperature control. I can also set it up to do a Ramp/Soak program that increses the temperature over a specified time.

Most double boilers keep the secondary pot from coming in contact with the primary pot water. My setup allows the secondary to be in contact with the water. I just have to make certain the primary temperature stays in control at setpoint.

Salute! :mug:

Back