cactus apple

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmoo1302

Reaction score
as I am fairly new to the brewing addiction I wanted to do a fruit addition to my next brew( maybe a hefe, or Belgian). I live in so-cal and there is an abundance of cactus apples in and around my area, so I thought "why not". has anyone tried using this fruit before? Its flavor is rather mild, so would it actually come thru in a beer? I havent made it to ag , so it will prob. be a partial.thanks

I've never done it, but have been thinking about it for years now. Today on my ride to work I rode past at least 5 Cacti completely full of prickly pears. I think you would be on the right track to use them in a Heff, or a wheat beer of sorts, the tart acidity of the fruit would be good with them. Or a wise style sour beer would be excellent too.

I might have to raid some of these Cacti and get a few lbs for a pure, and freeze it for later. too many beers in the pipeline for me, but I'd like to hear about your experiences with them if you try some thing.

Back