best yeast for high temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bweindling

Reaction score
So the best controled enviornment I have to store my primary and secondary in is my basement which is between 68-79 degrees in August. Anyone have any idea the best kind of yeast to use for this more extreem enviornment. I am willing to brew whatever style is best for hotter temperatures.

Brian W

Belgians are probably your best bet. I believe lambics prefer higher temps too, but I've never made one, so I'm not sure.

I've fermented with Nottingham dry yeast and Wyeast 1056 up to 82F with no ill effects. There were definitely some more noticable fruity esters, but it wasn't excessive. The other thing you can do to keep temps down is to get a big tub and fill it with cold water from the tap, and place your fermenter in it. Add ice or frozen water bottles to the tub to keep the fermentation temp down. Once the krausen has fallen, just let the temp go. Cheers!

Saisons are great in the upper 70's
I make my Wizens arround 72-75

You can alsays do a swamp cooler to get more stable temps usually arround 8 deg loweer than ambiant.

Back