Cold crash in primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cascadian

Reaction score
I have a centennial blonde in primary on its 8th day. The yeast has settled quite a bit, but there is still a significant haze. A flashlight shinning from the top down reaches through about 1/2 of the carboy. At this point would cold crashing it in primary be a good idea? I was thinking of cold crashing for a week and then bottling.

I wouldn't chill it down until you're certain it's reached it's final gravity.

With low-medium gravity beers, I don't even measure until it's been in primary about three weeks. If the expected FG has been achieved and the beer is reasonably clear (both are almost always true at this point) I'll crash cool for a few days, then proceed to keg or bottle.

Sure you can cold crash a primary. I'd probably wait a little longer too, especially if your bottling. I think BM can get away with his quick-turn around brews because he kegs. I've kegged this beer within a week of pitching the yeast....but if I was bottling....I'd wait.

Back