starter issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suddy

Reaction score
On Friday I made a starter for a hefeweisen (wlp300) for a Saturday brew day. I had to delay my brew day till tomorrow (Monday).

Will my starter be ok?

is the yeast sill healthy for pitching?

It should be fine, some will say to chill it in the fridge, decant the starter wort and pitch just the slurry. If you have about 36 hours or so to chill it I would agree. The WLP300 being a Hefe yeast will not flocculate well so you may opt to just pitch the entire starter.

In short, yes, it will be just fine, either way.

So, I should chill it and pitch the entire starter tomorrow? Or just let it sit out till tomorrow and pitch the whole thing?

starter can sit at room temp for a couple of days wont hurt it at all . I used the slurry from a prior batch that in effect had been at room temp for 10 days after primary fermentation.

I make my starters on wed or thursday for sat or sunday brew day and I don't chill them. I also pitch the entire thing usually anyway.

Back