how to make cheese molds

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want to make soft cheese like Chevre(sp?) or brie, you can use the large containers yogurt comes in. Just poke a bunch of holes on the bottoms and sides so the liquid can drain.

I've had a few containers for a while, but I haven't gotten around to trying the idea out. I tried to find the page where I first read about it, but I couldn't find it. I did find this page, tho. It has lots of pics, including one of curds that spent some time in a mold made of an old yogurt container.

And if you don't have any cheesecloth (which I don't), a regular (cleaned and sanitized) dishcloth works just fine...

Stick in the fridge, stick it in the fridge......then wait a month or two.

Seriously, I have no idea.

You might find some plans online. I've looked before, and may consider building my own if I ever get around to making cheese, but there are also some fairly cheap ones that you can buy. Saves some time and effort in building.

Also, a friend of mine has one so I might see if he will dig it up out of his basement and let me borrow it. I would love to make some hard cheeses.

You can use white pvc pipe to make the hoop then cut a circle out of an old cutting board or something for the follower. Drill some small holes in the pipe for whey to drain out and it works pretty well. That's what I did, just make sure the pvc is potable water grade and not for sewers systems.

-Archroy

I used some old Briess' LME containers. Washed and sanitized, with the ends cut off, and a cool whip container lid for a follower.

I've also used a bigger can, from chili, with both ends cut off. You don't want to use any reactive materials, though, so make sure the metal molds are very short term.

Is PVC safe? I'd like to build a simple weighted press and PVC would be easy (I could use a piece of old sewer pipe!) and cheap. The press plate could be some plastic I can get at work as a cut-off. Couple of pieces of SS and some screws and all-thread and I'm done!

PVC is not safe. The acid in the cheese will bring new and unwanted flavors.

I made a cheese mold from a round, squat, tupperware bowl. Drilled many many holes and then cut a follower from a piece of oak that I had. Also cut a base so the tupperware bowl is sandwitched between 2 pieces of wood. Cheese cloth goes in and then the curds.

I don't have a press, but use a large "C" clamp to press the cheese in the mold. Not knowing the exact pressure I just guess. Apply enough at the start to see some whey draining and then give it a few turns daily.

Back