Low Lead Warning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jps101

Reaction score
So here's one for ya...

The other day I went to purchase a LWD element from Grainger, link below.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/Electric-Replacement-Water-Heater-Element-2E754?Pid=search

As I was checking out, I received a warning that this element is not approved for "potable" water in the state of CA because of "low lead warning". I am not one to head every warning that comes along, especially the state of CA. However, lead is not something I want to deal with. Any thoughts on this?

BTW, no where on the site does it mention this warning, only when you go to check out. Furthermore, I suspect it may only be a warning if you are sending to CA, as I would have been doing.

:cross:

That's Kalifornia. I'm suprised they don't have warning signs in maternity wards stating "Warning, child birth could lead to the eventual death of the baby!" in 80 or so years.....

Seriously, California is the reason for his.

The company's product did not get tested or did not pass testing for lead content in California. :drunk:

http://www.dtsc.ca.gov/pollutionprevention/leadinplumbing.cfm

California enacted laws in January 2009 that increase public protection from exposure to lead in drinking water. The laws reduce the amount of lead allowed in plumbing components intended to convey or dispense water for human consumption.

Oh, I understand California's law - I'm being a little sarcastic.

I also think they are going over board - lead leaches from brass parts that contain lead in minuscule amounts and the greatest exposure to faucets that contain lead is from the first ounce or so of water that flows when the faucet is opened.

And anyways, it seems odd to me that we are even discussing lead at these levels when this site is all about making beer & wine, which happens to contain a substance known to kill brain cells (alcohol).

I like to rag on California as much as the next guy, but those labels are something that I actually appreciate. Whether or not you decide to follow the warnings, at least they let you know there's some sketchy stuff going on.

I like to rag on California as much as the next guy, but those labels are something that I actually appreciate. Whether or not you decide to follow the warnings, at least they let you know there's some sketchy stuff going on.

Not necessarily. The additional regulatory burden often causes companies to decide to exit the CA market, deeming the costs of compliance too high for the revenue opportunity. This tends to reduce competition, reduce consumer choice, and raise prices for consumers.

Thanks for the feedback. I was very surprised to see the warning. Hell, there is probably more cancerous material floating around in the air than what could / would leach through the product.

If that's the degree of complexity you're willing to grant the issue, you should check out clean-up jobs at Fukushima. The pay is amazing and the side-effects are apparently inevitable anyway!

wow, apparently you read those 3 words as "living IS THE ONLY THING THAT causes EVERY TYPE OF cancer"

if that's the degree of complexity you're reading into a joke, you should lighten up, Francis

So here's one for ya...

The other day I went to purchase a LWD element from Grainger, link below.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/Electric-Replacement-Water-Heater-Element-2E754?Pid=search

As I was checking out, I received a warning that this element is not approved for "potable" water in the state of CA because of "low lead warning". I am not one to head every warning that comes along, especially the state of CA. However, lead is not something I want to deal with. Any thoughts on this?

BTW, no where on the site does it mention this warning, only when you go to check out. Furthermore, I suspect it may only be a warning if you are sending to CA, as I would have been doing.

:cross:

better question is 'where is the lead'... is it in the electrical part that isn't in the water? or in the element part that provides the heat? They issue that warning just by looking at it and going 'there is lead in the soder, therefore lead in the product'.....

It is hard to imagine that there is any lead in the portion exposed to the water given that over 20 years ago they took the lead out of plumbin soder.

>shrugg<

wow, apparently you read those 3 words as "living IS THE ONLY THING THAT causes EVERY TYPE OF cancer"

if that's the degree of complexity you're reading into a joke, you should lighten up, Francis

My favorite thing in the universe is when people who (apparently) can't take a joke accuse other people of not being able to take a joke. ;)

better question is 'where is the lead'... is it in the electrical part that isn't in the water? or in the element part that provides the heat? They issue that warning just by looking at it and going 'there is lead in the soder, therefore lead in the product'.....

It is hard to imagine that there is any lead in the portion exposed to the
given that over 20 years ago they took the lead out of plumbin soder.

>shrugg<

That seems like the most likely explanation here, though I have heard of lead used in the elements themselves, too.

My favorite thing in the universe is when people who (apparently) can't take a joke accuse other people of not being able to take a joke. ;)

didn't read your post as a joke as it isn't funny. but now that you explained it, it still isn't funny. but if it cracked you up, it still isn't funny.

mine, however, was the ultimate in hilarity

The rest of the USA is following California on this, and will adopt California's policies on lead in plumbing fittings entirely after January 2014.

California requires disclaimers on everything. Publicly accessible buildings have to post warnings that something in the building could cause cancer. Some regulated items are not allowed in the state because the manufacturer did not submit for testing each color version of the product.

The regulations can be a bit crazy to deal with.

Back