Canning Starter Wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d_striker

Reaction score
I've read some people saying that wort does not have a low enough ph and needs to be pressure canned.

I've read other people's opinions saying that it's okay to can without a pressure canner.

Will my starter wort keep in mason jars if i just do the boiling water bath method?

you can pour it from the boil pot straight to a container into the freezer if it'll be a while till you use it. you just boil then cool it later

Wort does need to be pressure canned or it will spoil badly.

Certainly saves time when getting a starter set up. Santitize, open, pour, yeast in, done. No boiling and it can sit on the shelf for a year.

You can pressure can three gallons of starter wort in half of an afternoon.

I like it.

Wort does need to be pressure canned or it will spoil badly.

Certainly saves time when getting a starter set up. Santitize, open, pour, yeast in, done. No boiling and it can sit on the shelf for a year.

You can pressure can three gallons of starter wort in half of an afternoon.

I like it.

Thanks for answering the question and not just telling me to freeze it.

If the wort is not below 4.6 Clostridium botulinum spores can germinate and lead to spoilage and/or botulism. And their spores can survive about 5 hours of boiling. So wort needs to be pressure canned.

Personally, I think that a pressure canner is a worthwhile investment. It doesn't take up tonnes of space, won't pack it in since there's nothing electronic in it and it has lots of uses beyong starter wort.

They aren't terribly expensive and probably go on sale every once and a while at Walmart or something like that.

:mug:

Back