Best Sours?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McMalty

Reaction score
I'm relatively new to sours, they're great, but not so readily available, so I'd like to get a benchmark for what's good and what's not. What's your favorite commercial sour(s) and why?

Personally, I love a classic gueuze. They tend to be very dry with a slight barnyard flavor and mouth puckering sourness. You may have to search, but there are a few available in the US. The most common is Lindemans Cuvée René, which is traditional, whereas the Lindemans fruit guezes tend to be sweetened alco-pops.

Cantillon is among the best. Drie Fonteinen is very good. Hanssens Oude Gueuze and Kriek are fantastic.

I have not found Boon gueuze in Ohio, but it may be the best. Boon Mariage Parfait is heaven in a bottle. Girardin 1882 black label is great if you can find it.

i have recently found Tilquin near me. It is a new blender showing a lot of promise.

If you can fing Cantillon Grand Cru Bruocsella, this is a Lambic and not a blend like Gueuze. What a treat, and very rare as lambics are not often bottled, but served on cask.

See what you can find and what you like!

I've only had about 4-5 so far, but no two favorites were Lindeman's Cuvee Rene' (a real lambic, not that backsweetened stuff) and the Duchesse. I love the up-front mouth-puckering tartness you get from Cuvee Rene`. It does not mess around. Duchesse has an intoxicating aroma (balsamic and cherries mostly) and just plain tastes great. If the Duchesse were real, I would run away with her.

Some great beer's have been mentioned.

As you are on the East Coast you may have a hard time sourcing Russian River, but the entire lineup is good. Supplication is my perfect favorite.

Jolly Pumpkin makes some great sours too. They are based out of Michigan so maybe a bit easier to find. Look for La Roja.

If you want to learn to brew sours look for the book Wild Brews, and read this blog: http://www.themadfermentationist.com/ don't forget the Lambic and Wild forum.

I'm relatively new to sours, they're great, but not so readily available

I don't know about Maryland, but here in Florida they have Lindemann's Lambics, Krieks, and Framboise sours at almost every liquor store in town. That's a pretty good place to start.

I see you have a ABC, BevMo, and Total Wine close to Lisbon, I guarantee they have several examples of other sours as well. Other common sour styles include Gueuze, Faro, Pecheresse, Cuvee Rene, and Cassis. No one is going to really advertise their beer as "Sour" as this is a bad marketing technique. Look for beers marked with these styles....they are most often packaged in 375ml or 750ml wine bottles.

The most common is Lindemans Cuvée René, which is traditional, whereas the Lindemans fruit guezes tend to be sweetened alco-pops.

Lindeman's Cuvee Rene' (a real lambic, not that backsweetened stuff)

Not to go too off-topic here, but wasn't there a big flap a couple years ago about Cuvee Rene having Acesulfame K (artificial sweetener) added but not disclosed on the label? I don't know all the details, but I seem to recall an importer stopped distributing Lindemans in the US because of the labeling issue and there being some degree of uncertainty as to whether the Cuvee Rene was or wasn't backsweetened (similar to the rest of Lindeman's product). Don't quote me on this...

Not to go too off-topic here, but wasn't there a big flap a couple years ago about Cuvee Rene having Acesulfame K (artificial sweetener) added but not disclosed on the label? I don't know all the details, but I seem to recall an importer stopped distributing Lindemans in the US because of the labeling issue and there being some degree of uncertainty as to whether the Cuvee Rene was or wasn't backsweetened (similar to the rest of Lindeman's product). Don't quote me on this...

Cuvee Rene is traditional. Lindemann's products not labeled Cuvee Rene are artificially sweetened.

Most of the Russian River ones are fantastic....but since your in Maryland I'm assuming those are not going to be easy to obtain.

My favorite is Petrus. Monk's Cafe is delicious as well. Then I'd say Rodenbach Grand Cru.

Hanssen's Oude Gueuze is darn tasty but pretty tough to get.
3 Fonteinen Oude Gueuze is also tough to get but really excellent.

Other than that, I can't contribute much that hasn't already been mentioned except for maybe some Bruery stuff, which although I believe their more "normal" beers are distributed pretty widely, I don't think many of their sours make it to the other coast.

Bruery Oude Tart is one of my favorite sours. Really, really puckering, complex Flemish red.

I used to like Jolly Pumpkin's La Roja a lot, but I think either they have changed their process, or I'm getting unlucky with the bottles now. The last couple I've had weren't nearly the same level of quality that I had experienced previously.

Jolly pumpkin is good stuff but my last bottle had such a major gusher that the entire bottle evacuated all over my ceiling upon opening.

Anything from Cantillon, Russian River's sour line, Lost Abbey's sour line, Rodenbach is a standard, and anything from Tres Fontaine. Cheers!

We had a Goose Island sour when we were back in Upstate NY a few months back...Dominque maybe? It was damned good!

Monks Cafe and Lindemann's is about all we can find in the DFW metro these days

+ on the Lost Abbey and Russian River sours. Also, had a Duchess of Bourgogne "Brown Sour" from the tap at Pizza port Solana this week that was outrageously good.

3 Fonteinen Oude Gueuze is my hands down favorite with Russian River's Supplication in close second. Love that tartness.

Anybody get a chance to try the Avery Immitis? I think that one is delicious. Limited number of bottles, so I have a couple in my aging fridge.

Can't go wrong with Monk's Cafe or any of the Russian Rivers.

Also love the Jolly Pumpkin sours. In order of my preference: Oro de Calabaza, Luciernaga, La Roja. And yes, they're typically gushers. If you can get them on tap, they're sublime.

McMalty said:
I'm relatively new to sours, they're great, but not so readily available, so I'd like to get a benchmark for what's good and what's not. What's your favorite commercial sour(s) and why?

well your thread inspired me to try a sour, and i went to the store today. I got duchesse de bourgogne from sugestions from this thread and..... WOW!!! it's amazing. i had never ha a sour, and it really is revolutionary in a way. it is amazing (im drinking it now) I dont know about other sours but duchesse is amazing, and i've seen a whole new genre. great

Almost any Cantillion, Jolly Pumpkin Oro de Calabaza. And Russian River Beatification are some of my favorites
Once, I was lucky enough to try Lost Abbey Isabella Proximus a few years back. If you ever find it...mail it to me.

well your thread inspired me to try a sour, and i went to the store today. I got duchesse de bourgogne from sugestions from this thread and..... WOW!!! it's amazing. i had never ha a sour, and it really is revolutionary in a way. it is amazing (im drinking it now) I dont know about other sours but duchesse is amazing, and i've seen a whole new genre. great

This nonsense needs to stop now. You have obviously been brainwashed by people with unsophisticated palates who are just jumping on the latest "fad" beer craze. Anyone else who is in danger of falling for this sham of "spoiled" beer at high prices, save your money.

And for the rest of you, if I can't get my pucker on because my local joint's keg of nectar (La Folie) has been floated, again, I know where to go looking. Also, darnn you people living in states without f'd up beer importing regs.

Someones a little angry.

Yes, and even angrier a few nights ago when the guy just in front of me floated the only keg of sour in the bar. Second time that has happened- "No sour for you!!!!" was all I heard.

We have limited access to sours in TX, and I fear it will only get worse as they inevitably become more popular in the US. Due to state liquor regs and fees, it is prohibitively expensive to import small batch beers in TX, so I think the limited supply of sours will follow the path of least resistance. Hopefully it will get better once more new sours, and more of current sours, are made to meet demand.

I am not a big fan of New Belgium's other beers, but they have some good tart sours- Eric's Ale, Le Terroir, La Folie, Lychee- and they distribute them in TX. I haven't found any other puckering sours in town, but there are a few decent Belgian sours in the better stores.

I am not a big fan of New Belgium's other beers, but they have some good tart sours- Eric's Ale, Le Terroir, La Folie, Lychee- and they distribute them in TX. I haven't found any other puckering sours in town, but there are a few decent Belgian sours in the better stores. Due to liquor regs and fees, it is prohibitively expensive to distribute small batch beers in TX.

Just had a New Belgium Clutch (Lips of Faith series) at the Blind Lady last night. Don't know if anybody's had this or tried it, but it was amazing. I'd never even heard of it before- actually didn't even know NB made sours.

The Clutch is a 20% sour 80% stout blend, and is amazing. It's a PERFECT blend that I wish I could have every day. A bona fide mouthgasm in every sip.

cwi said:
This nonsense needs to stop now. You have obviously been brainwashed by people with unsophisticated palates who are just jumping on the latest "fad" beer craze. Anyone else who is in danger of falling for this sham of "spoiled" beer at high prices, save your money.

And for the rest of you, if I can't get my pucker on because my local joint's keg of nectar (La Folie) has been floated, again, I know where to go looking. Also, darnn you people living in states without f'd up beer importing regs.

I literally don't understand that post

Yes, and even angrier a few nights ago when the guy just in front of me floated the only keg of sour in the bar. Second time that has happened- "No sour for you!!!!" was all I heard.

We have limited access to sours in TX, and I fear it will only get worse as they inevitably become more popular in the US. Due to state liquor regs and fees, it is prohibitively expensive to import small batch beers in TX, so I think the limited supply of sours will follow the path of least resistance. Hopefully it will get better once more new sours, and more of current sours, are made to meet demand.

I am not a big fan of New Belgium's other beers, but they have some good tart sours- Eric's Ale, Le Terroir, La Folie, Lychee- and they distribute them in TX. I haven't found any other puckering sours in town, but there are a few decent Belgian sours in the better stores.

Le Terroir is excellent. RR Supplication is my favorite of the few Sours I've had.:mug:

If you ever get a chance, perhaps only when you're in the Pacific Northwest, you should try something from Cascade. Their Barrel House pub generally has about 12 sours on tap at all times, and they bottle a Kriek, Apricot, and Red in 750ml bottles. Very good beers.
-Plus, what everybody else mentioned, and here's a vote for Rodenbach too.

Le Terroir is excellent. RR Supplication is my favorite of the few Sours I've had.:mug:
I must have had 50 pints of Terroir. It was better out of the keg. I am still waiting for this years Eric's Ale, but no local sightings so far.

I plan to order some RR, just a bit worried about forking over ~$20/bottle after shipping and not getting the pucker fix I need. La Folie was my training sour, which is like bypassing all the stepping stone drugs and going straight to main-lining heroin. Lauren Salazar at NB puts out some seriously tart and acidic brews. I can still appreciate some of the more subtle sours, but I crave the pucker.

I just need to research which of the RR and Cascade brews are hardcore sours.

If you ever get a chance, perhaps only when you're in the Pacific Northwest, you should try something from Cascade. Their Barrel House pub generally has about 12 sours on tap at all times, and they bottle a Kriek, Apricot, and Red in 750ml bottles. Very good beers.
My friend just came back from Cascade. He taunted us by twatting pics of the flight of sours he drank, and when he got back he said "Oh I have something from Cascade for you guys". As my mouth was already starting to water, he produced baseball caps. I can't call him cheap because the caps probably cost more than a bottle, but the lazy bastard couldn't cram a few 750's in his luggage? He wouldn't have even noticed since he was already hauling the wife, baby, stroller, and fly fishing gear.

Back