Jolly Pumpkin 'yeast'

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Synovia

Reaction score
Has anyone tried harvesting the yeast/beasties from Jolly Pumpkin?

I've got a bottle of La Roja in the fridge, and I've heard that Jolly Pumpkin's stuff all has some funk in it. Can it be harvested?

I've got a brown/red in the keezer thats pretty cloying because I used too much crystal and mashed too high, and it sounds like a good candidate to let the funk out on.

I've never tried and never specifically heard of anybody that has. They do however bottle condition, so it would be possible. I don't think they are truly spontaneously fermenting, but they do use a house cocktail of bugs.

Throw the dregs onto a stirplate and see if it takes off!

I don't think they are truly spontaneously fermenting, but they do use a house cocktail of bugs.
They don't claim to spontaneously ferment, they say that they "open ferment" and certainly innoculate the wort with their house blend.

As for harvesting I would say it's certainly possible. I drank a Weizen Bam a couple nights ago and it had a good 1/2" of dregs.

They don't claim to spontaneously ferment, they say that they "open ferment" and certainly innoculate the wort with their house blend.

As for harvesting I would say it's certainly possible. I drank a Weizen Bam a couple nights ago and it had a good 1/2" of dregs.

Does anyone in Fort Wayne carry any of the JP beers? I've been wanting to try them for a while now.

Does anyone in Fort Wayne carry any of the JP beers? I've been wanting to try them for a while now.
No, their distribution is very hit or miss. I was at the brewery not that long ago and picked a few up, unfortunately since they have two brewpubs opening soon they only had 3 beers to choose from. I am going up to Ann Arbor again this weekend, if you want me to look for a specific one for you shoot me a PM. Or if you don't have anything going on Labor Day a few of us from the club are getting together at a guys house and I plan to bring one or two of them to try. I know at least a couple guys will be brewing and the rest of us will be talking beer and drinking.

Back