Muslin bags for hops, quick help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BugleBrew

Reaction score
So I tried putting my hops in muslin bags like the ones used for steeping grains. I think I tied the bags too tightly around the hops because it doesn't seem like the water is circulating through the bags enough. Am I worrying too much, or should I hedge my bets and cut the bags open.

Also, I am relaxing and having a home brew, but I can't help but to worry about my baby...

They stretch pretty good, you should be okay. When I tie them, I tie them as close to the opening as possible to allow room, but even when packed full of 1.5 ounces they stretch out well enough I think.

Yeah, I was stupid and cut them down so the not was pretty close to the hops. They still stretch quite a bit but like I said... I can't help but be concerned.

Mine were the same way. Now and then I'd use my spoon to press them against the side of the kettle to kind of squeeze them out and let them soak up some more wort. Not sure if that was a good idea or not, but I did it.

Back