Converting AG recipes to Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jldc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
How do you convert AG recipes to Extract? I understand that something would be lost in translation, but there are so many AG recipes that look great and many fewer Extract versions, that I would like to give it a try.

Is there software that can help? Should I just buy the pre-designed extract kits from AHB or other places and leave the AG recipes for if/when I brew AG?

Converting base malt into DME of LME is straight forward. Multiply the base malt weight by 0.73 for the equivalent LME, and multiply the base malt weight by 0.59 for the equivalent DME. However, specialty grains can be a problem. Many grains like Munich malt, wheat malt, Vienna malt, flaked oats, etc., need to be mashed to have the starches converted into sugars. Steeping these directly will make the beer hazy. Some of them, like Munich malt, have DME or LME equivalents available. Others need a partial mash to be used. On the other hand, other malts, like crystal malt, can be steeped, as they are already converted. Each grain ingredient has to be considered on a case-by-case basis. To make matters worse, if a partial boil is employed, bittering hops need to be increased to make up for the decreased hop utilization caused by the concentrated wort. It can be done though, and it is not really that hard.

In beersmith it's easy....

Type the ag recipe in...then notice on the second row of buttons, there is one labled "convert recipe"....A popup/drop down will allow you to select what you are converting to.

beginn8.jpg

Between scale and brew log...

Latest posts

Back