saving yeast - how to?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tranceamerica

Reaction score
Ok, I want to save some yeast out of my current batch. I'm planning on harvesting the yeast after I rack - simply leaving a bit of beer in the bottom of the carboy, swirling it around, then dumping through a sanatized funnel into sanitized beer bottles, then capping the bottles.

Questions:

1) should I dip the mouth of the bottles into alcohol before doing this, or is soaking in a bleach solution enough?

2) where should I store the bottles?

3) how long can I store them? ie: when do they 'expire" LOL!!

EDIT:

Ok, I found this about washing yeast.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Washing_yeast

pretty clear...but I wonder what happens if you don't wash the yeast, just save the whole thing, trub and all?

if you don't wash it then you are pitching 'waste' into fresh wort.

you're also making it harder on the yeast you washed. the cleaner the liquid they are stored in, the better. so a very watered down wort (by using boiled and cooled water) is best.

I like this article on yeast washing too. combined with the link you posted, you'll be washing like a pro in no time.
http://www.donosborn.com/homebrew/yeast_washing_the_wyeast_way.htm

i use a bucket of star san for my mason jars. you need to keep the lids loose a while as the yeast will vent CO2.

they'll keep for many many months.

I'd be careful of pouring the slurry out of your carboy if you use a regular stopper. I think everyone likes carboy caps so much because it created a hood over the neck that would normally collect all kinds of airborne nasties. I like pumping or siphoning out the slurry via the autosiphon.

excellent point bobby.

I re-sanitize my carboy neck, inside and out, before I pour the slurry into my first washing bottle. in fact yeast washing day is probably when I'm most anal about my sanitizing routine.
So far I've washed twice with great success and relative ease.

thanks for the replies. guess I'd better buy some mason jars :rockin:

hmm...then a follow up question...

can you do a yeast starter...using a homebrew?

IE: I boil up a bit of wort...pour off most of the beer in a brew...swirl up the yeast and dump in?

tranceamerica said:
can you do a yeast starter...using a homebrew?

IE: I boil up a bit of wort...pour off most of the beer in a brew...swirl up the yeast and dump in?

Yes, sorta.

I usually make my starters the night before, two is preferred I believe. So if you are using extract boil a small amount cool it and pitch the yeast.

so, pour off 2 or 3 homebrews, swirl the yeast, and pitch it into a yeast starter. Maybe an 'easier' way to 'save' yeast...

I'll do the yeast washing...when I find a bunch of mason jars at a second hand store or garage sale. (found a great 2 gallon stainless pot at my local value village this last weekend =$7) :ban:

Back