Guess what I'm brewing!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cartman98

Reaction score
3.5 lbs John Bull Light LME
3 lbs Extra light dried malt
.75 lbs crushed munich Malt
6 oz crushed crystal 10L Malt
6 oz crushed Crystal 20L Malt
1 oz northern brewer hops
1 oz willamette hops
yeast
Just started it!
What is it?
:tank:

Whoops, sorry Mods, I should have put it into Recipes...

I was about to guess "wort" until at the last minute I saw the last ingredient in the list, almost hiding down there:
Cartman98 said:
You almost snuck that one by me, but Beerrific didn't miss a beat. ;)

You got that from my computer?

What you have there is recipe for a low carb strawberry beer.

Damn, I love Beerfest.

Beerrific said:
Well, being a smart ass aside, I would guess American amber.
I would guess the same... Some munich and moderate amount of relatively light crystal malts - malty, sweet, and somewhat amber in color. Though not a lot of any of them, so I don't know.

Or looking at the northern brewer hops, maybe a california common/steam beer? He didn't specify the yeast he's using, maybe it would be a giveaway.

You need to be more specific on the yeast. If it is bread yeast from the grocery then you are probably making crap!;)

I have it!!!! I've got it!!! OH you GOD you!!!!! You have figured out the recipe for Bud ICE haven't you!
You are like that greek god who brought fire down to the people!!! What was his name?.............

cheezydemon said:
I have it!!!! I've got it!!! OH you GOD you!!!!! You have figured out the recipe for Bud ICE haven't you!
You are like that greek god who brought fire down to the people!!! What was his name?.............

Prometheus... and he ended up getting his guts eaten every day for eternity... I think that would be fitting for brewing bud ICE....

Brewing Clamper said:
Prometheus... and he ended up getting his guts eaten every day for eternity... I think that would be fitting for brewing bud ICE....

HEY! Bud Ice is just about the only BMC that I'll drink. Respect the Bud Ice. :tank:

What? I use nottingham yeast when I brew my BUD ICE Clone!

I also used it in my Pabst Blue Ribbon Clone and my "almost Coors" Clone but it didn't work as well in those.

Anyone have a good recipe for a "Milwauke's Best" Clone?

Cartman98 said:
It is a Red ale.
I don't want to say "no it's not", but uh... Are you sure about that? I hardly think that 12 ounces of very light crystal malt is going to make it red - I'd think at best you're looking at a light amber. Sticking your recipe in beersmith, it looks like its color is indeed below the style guidelines for an irish red. Not only that, but your IBU's are well above the guidelines for a red as well, unless you're doing a very concentrated boil.
However, it DOES seem to match up to the style guidelines for an american pale ale. Not trying to be a dick or anything, as you're totally free to call it whatever you want, call it a stout for all we care, as long as you enjoy it - but how were we supposed to guess the beer style of your recipe if your recipe doesn't fit the beer style you're calling it? :confused:

Funkenjäger said:
I don't want to say "no it's not", but uh... Are you sure about that? I hardly think that 12 ounces of very light crystal malt is going to make it red - I'd think at best you're looking at a light amber. Sticking your recipe in beersmith, it looks like its color is indeed below the style guidelines for an irish red. Not only that, but your IBU's are well above the guidelines for a red as well, unless you're doing a very concentrated boil.
However, it DOES seem to match up to the style guidelines for an american pale ale. Not trying to be a dick or anything, as you're totally free to call it whatever you want, call it a stout for all we care, as long as you enjoy it - but how were we supposed to guess the beer style of your recipe if your recipe doesn't fit the beer style you're calling it? :confused:

I agree. I would say the malt bill would be OK for an American Pale but not the hops (need some citrus) that is why I originally thought it was an Amber.

When I think red I think (one or more): crystal 60, 120, cara-munich, maybe crystal 40 for a lighter red color.

Well then...I plugged it into beersmith and ended up with an American Dark Lager...but i just downloaded it and perhaps didn't use it right. Anyhow I wanted a red but if I don't end up with one, I'll probably have to drink it and try again... :(

Cartman98 said:
Well then...I plugged it into beersmith and ended up with an American Dark Lager...but i just downloaded it and perhaps didn't use it right. Anyhow I wanted a red but if I don't end up with one, I'll probably have to drink it and try again... :(

That doesn't sound like so bad of a problem, drink up son!

The default on the style is American Dark Lager. You have to choose your style. It won't guess your style according to the ingredients. The reason for choosing the style in the program is to see if your ingredients will end up matching they style color, IBU's, SG and FG.

Back