Hello from Michigan!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djdoubleb

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm a very new homebrewer from Ann Arbor, MI looking for recipes that I can use to learn how to mess with beer. Eventually, I would like to develop my own recipes and have my own line of beers (for myself and close friends only of course). Anyway, hope you find this sight as useful as I have already!

Hello back from Walled Lake, Michigan (about 40 min. northeast of you), and welcome to the world of homebrewing! :)

I'd be happy to share any of my recipes with you; almost all of mine are of my own creation. But what kind of beer do you like? I've made quite a variety over time, and certainly have my favorites.

Just let me know!

Hello Graypayp!

Sounds like you're where I'd like to get some day!

So far I've found that I really enjoy wit, ales, and stuff on the lighter side. Have any of your favorite recipes that I could try that fall into those categories?

Welcome to Home Brew Talk from Big Rapids... been making my own recipes since batch 2. I have a few standard recipes:
Oatmeal Stout
Centennial IPA
Columbus IPA
Nugget Pale Ale
and some really great experiments like
Cranberry Walnut Christmas Ale
Smoked Pumpkin Porter
Oatmeal Lager

check out the recipes here for ideas

agreed, Ann Arbor is great, lived there in college and a couple years after.

Go Blue!

Go Blue!

Alumni from about 2 years ago. You go to Beer Depot for your supplies right? Or make the trek out to the new Midwest shop near Jackson?

Also, I have a black raspberry patch location for you if you're interested in lambics (or meads).

Hello Graypayp!

Sounds like you're where I'd like to get some day!

So far I've found that I really enjoy wit, ales, and stuff on the lighter side. Have any of your favorite recipes that I could try that fall into those categories?

How do any of these original recipes sound? I'm suggesting these because they're extract recipes, only some of which use steeping grains. I stand by all of them as quality beers, and I'm ordering them in terms of how challenging they were. I'll also be honest and rank them on a scale of 1 to 10 for how well I thought they turned out:

1. (easiest) "Long Day" Michigan Pale Ale (7/10; not very bitter at all; slightly sweet, and rather "clean" for an ale; almost lager like, yet richly refreshing)
2. "Momo Moon" Belgian Witbier (8/10; a very valiant effort at cloning Blue Moon, with an end product that turned out rather superior)
3. "Honey Brown" Ale (9/10; another not very bitter, fairly sweet, spiced (with cinnamon sticks, cloves and nutmeg), very fragrant Northern English Brown Ale recipe; also brewed with honey, as the name would indicate)
4. (hardest) "Bag End" Irish Stout (7/10; just what it sounds like; a very traditional-tasting Irish Stout, which was intended to be Guinness-like; it succeeded to a large degree)

How about we start with those, and see if any of them sound like something you might be interested in? My wife and I have our own little "North Drive Brewing Co.", and we'd be happy to share all kinds of recipes with you as time goes on. But if you see something you'd like to try, or if you're ever looking for advice on the basics, just message me and let me know. :)

Let me know if you want to try any of those, and I'll message you the recipe!

There's actually an Adventures in Homebrewing store on the west side of Ann Arbor that I go to!

How do any of these original recipes sound? I'm suggesting these because they're extract recipes, only some of which use steeping grains. I stand by all of them as quality beers, and I'm ordering them in terms of how challenging they were. I'll also be honest and rank them on a scale of 1 to 10 for how well I thought they turned out:

1. (easiest) "Long Day" Michigan Pale Ale (7/10; not very bitter at all; slightly sweet, and rather "clean" for an ale; almost lager like, yet richly refreshing)
2. "Momo Moon" Belgian Witbier (8/10; a very valiant effort at cloning Blue Moon, with an end product that turned out rather superior)
3. "Honey Brown" Ale (9/10; another not very bitter, fairly sweet, spiced (with cinnamon sticks, cloves and nutmeg), very fragrant Northern English Brown Ale recipe; also brewed with honey, as the name would indicate)
4. (hardest) "Bag End" Irish Stout (7/10; just what it sounds like; a very traditional-tasting Irish Stout, which was intended to be Guinness-like; it succeeded to a large degree)

How about we start with those, and see if any of them sound like something you might be interested in? My wife and I have our own little "North Drive Brewing Co.", and we'd be happy to share all kinds of recipes with you as time goes on. But if you see something you'd like to try, or if you're ever looking for advice on the basics, just message me and let me know. :)

Let me know if you want to try any of those, and I'll message you the recipe!

You're Witbier recipe sounds nice! I'm finding I like wits and their is definetly nothing wrong with Blue Moon. It might be a little while before I get to make it as I have a wishlist going right now but I'd really appreciate you sending the recipe. Of course, my friends and I would be happy to provide feedback too.

Latest posts

Back