BIAB bags at bed bath

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the paintstrainer bags right now and have done 13 lbs of grain in a 7.5 gallon pot. The 5g paint bags seem to work fine with my configuration. That being the space requirements. I may realize my grain is more compacted than I thought if/when I go to a bigger bag.

I'm not sure of the effect, if any, on the more compacted grain. The folks at BIABrewer.info (Aussies who originated the BIAB technique) advocate a bag big enough to fit your pot in--there would be no constriction of the grain at all.

Nightstalker said:
I am not 100% but those bags look to be about the same mesh as the paint strainer bags at the home improvement stores. Correct me if I am wrong.

I just started doing BIAB. I have done 3 so far and my efficiency is getting better each time.(Thanks to you guys here at HBT) In fact I think it was my second or third batch, I will have to check the notes, but I hit in the low 80's. I am just using a 7.5g pot and I know this bag at the other stores would be too big but if it is a finer mesh than the paint strainer bags, I am all in. I have had a good amount of trub the last few times. Anywhere from 1/2 to 3/4 gallon :):confused: I am thinking I should chalk that up to the double crush though. Being new to the AG style and not seeing the levels of crush aside from the steeping grains, I assumed one pass on the LHBS mill would be good for AG and need the second run for BIAB. It may have been fine enough on the single run but I went ahead and did it twice as it seems to be a common recommendation. I may try on the brew this weekend to do a single crush to see if the amount of trub is less using the paint strainer bags. I just hope my efficiency is still decent. I guess its may be a catch 22. Good efficiency means more trub while low efficiency gives you less trub. Using the same style/brand bag of course.

As for the muslin bags. Are the holes on those considered to be WAY more coarse than a paint strainer bag??? All the muslin bags I have used, like the ones supplied in a Brewers Best kit are much more coarse than the paint strainer bag. In fact I used to use a paint strainer bag in my fermenter to do a fine "straining" after I cooled the wort.

smyrnaquince said:
The mesh is finer than a paint strainer bag (which I have used), but a bit coarser than the voile that a BIAB bag is usually made out of. I haven't tried it yet because a friend just made me a bag out of voile. If I didn't have that, I would definitely move to the Marshall's bag.

As for size, I do half-size batches (2.5 gallons instead of 5) on the stovetop. The paint strainer bag fits that pot well. The Marshall's bag would fit a full-size pot for a full batch. I think that the paint strainer bag would not reach the bottom of the pot.

(I use one of those metal fold-out steamer inserts on the bottom of the pot so the bag doesn't burn.)

smyrnaquince said:
I'm not sure of the effect, if any, on the more compacted grain. The folks at BIABrewer.info (Aussies who originated the BIAB technique) advocate a bag big enough to fit your pot in--there would be no constriction of the grain at all.

I used it this past weekend and you guys are right. A bit finer than the paint strainer but slightly (and I mean slightly) coarser than the usual voille bags. It worked great in my 60 quart aluminum pot. Actually quite snug. It's definitely a keeper.

Did a DIPA this morning and this bag is freaking awesome. Stronger than the BBAB bag. I really Like it! Thanks for the tip!

Latest posts

Back