Oops, how bad might this turn out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cinredman

Reaction score
Friend had 1/2 barrel of summer wheat for party. Afterward, there was a good bit of beer still in the keg and I had a empty corny keg ready to go. Problem was all we had was a hand pump and picnic tap. After sanitizing the corny keg we began to fill it with the picnic though the lid. We filled the corny all the way to the top and then sloshed some beer out to create some head room.

We closed up the corny, purged the air off with CO2 and went ahead and set it in the fridge.

So, how fast might this beer go bad?

So, how is this any different than the process of racking from primary or secondary into corny. (hose and siphon)?

When you rack between two vessels, you're siphoning, not pushing with air. The hand pump pushes air, not CO2, into the keg, creating the pressure needed to dispense the beer. Air contains about 21% oxygen. Then, when you use the picnic tap to dispense the beer into the keg lid opening, you're allowing the beer to contact the air. If you had the keg pressurized before opening, the contact could be minimalized, but not eliminated. Finally, sloshing it around will oxidize the beer. Similar to when you shake your fermenter before fermentation.

I'm not so sure it is going to be all that oxidized.

For the O2 to be disolved into the beer quickly it needs to be under pressure. you only used enough pressure to move the beer not something like 20 or 30 PSI. At low pressure it takes time to disolve any gas into a liquid, so I'm not sure much was disolved into the beer. Now that it's purged and on CO2 it should keep in the keg in the state it is in. No new O2 is being introduced and it's in the fridge, so I would expect you should be able to drink it for a month or so at least.

Back