Porter with a kick?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tar1010

Reaction score
I am thinking of doing a porter as my next batch. However since I am new to this still, I was wondering if it would be possible to add something to the recipe or perhaps in the secondary to give it a bit of a kick of flavor. I love hazelnut and like the idea of a hazelnut porter! :rockin:

Yup. I add coffee and/or chocolate to my stouts and porters all the time. Use the search for hazelnut porter, and I bet you will find several recipes with suggestions of how to add hazelnut flavor. Have fun and happy drinking!

I made a porter back in Nov and added a couple of vanilla beans, made another last week and added a little cocoa powder and some ancho chili powder in an effort to mimic Mexican chocolate.

i'm a big fan of the coffee porters. i've had some tasty vanilla porters as well i'm not a fan of hazelnut, but i know a lot of people do. i'd say go for the hazelnut or hazelnut coffee idea if you like hazelnut beers. a porter would be a great brew to do something like that with.

I checked out a new brew shop this past weekend which ended up being closer to my house, and was extremely impressed. I probably won't go back to the old store. I picked up BB's Baltic Porter and a hazelnut extract. Planning on going pretty light on the flavoring. I'll keep you all posted on the results! :rockin:

I checked out a new brew shop this past weekend which ended up being closer to my house, and was extremely impressed. I probably won't go back to the old store. I picked up BB's Baltic Porter and a hazelnut extract. Planning on going pretty light on the flavoring. I'll keep you all posted on the results! :rockin:

nice! i remember their robust porter as a very nice beer, i'm sure the baltic porter will be great too. happy brewing!:mug:

Back