Wyeast activator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteChef

Reaction score
It's stepped up to a wyeast activator as I've been just pitching dry yeast that I've hydrated. Ive seen talk about the smack packs needing a starter. Is this true? Or can I just pitch the pack after the magic has taken place inside the bag?

Over the teeth, through the gums, look

What are you pitching it in to? Extract or AG? Gravity?

A starter helps big-time with the activator packs, especially with extract brews.

But you don't have to, you'll still get good beer. Try a starter next time and you won't be disappointed.

What is stopping you from making a starter? Might as well do it. You'll get better results, especially with extracts.

Well I dont really know what is stopping me other than i would like to brew tommorrow and I usually don't have to wait on a starter 3 days before I brew. I know brewing is a patient art but I would really like to get it going tommorrow.

Well I dont really know what is stopping me other than i would like to brew tommorrow and I usually don't have to wait on a starter 3 days before I brew. I know brewing is a patient art but I would really like to get it going tommorrow.

Doing a starter for 24 hours will be a lot better than doing no starter at all. Just go for it. For the longest time I skipped the starter, but now I can't go back -- your yeast will thank you.

Nah 12-24 hours is cool for a starter. No big deal. It'll be better than nothing - trust me!

So what do I need to do. As far as a starter for the wyeast smack pack that is

Back