Basement Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laprokop

Reaction score
I am getting my heater replaced in my basement (Natural Gas) and I want to add a line off of it so this winter as there is 100 inches of snow on the ground and the temperature drops to -40 I can still brew beer.

Any suggestions on how to build out something?

Thanks!

You might want to google indoor brewing or basement brewing. I've seen some threads that discuss the venting requirements. Brewing closed indoors requires big vents. Other than that, just T off the gas and run it over to an appliance gas valve. Flex pipe to your burner and you are good for heat source anyway.

Yeah you really have 2 choices. Go electric or tap off of the heater, which is possible, but you will need to get a pretty hardcore ventilation system to not die :)

Yep. The heat source is the small concern. The vent system is your main priority along with a CO detector once done. I'd go electric in the basement for simplicity.

Even if you go electric, you'll probably still want ventilation to move some of the humidity outside. But humidity doesn't really kill you, so I guess its less important.

With electric you will still need ventilation, but not nearly as much as you would to evacuate all of the gas from a burner...

Thanks for the suggestions I spoke to the head of the household (wife) and she pretty much told me there was a snowball's chance in hell that i was going to be brewing with NG in the basement... on to the electric side of things... I am taking it I am going to need a dedicated load center just for this?

Thanks for the suggestions I spoke to the head of the household (wife) and she pretty much told me there was a snowball's chance in hell that i was going to be brewing with NG in the basement... on to the electric side of things... I am taking it I am going to need a dedicated load center just for this?

There is an electric brew forum on this site, you can poke around there. Also take a look at this site that's run by Kal. He's the godfather of electric brewing and his site give you step by step instruction how to build your own basement (electric) brewery including parts list and all. Good luck

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/

Back