How much do you give away?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hardball

Reaction score
On average per brew, how much is given to friends, family, etc?

In the past I have pretty much kept the beer for myself, but lately I have had friends ask for 6 packs. I give it to them with a $5 "deposit" and give the deposit back when they return my bottles. Most of my buddies just tell me to keep the $5 and put towards the next brew.

I usually end up giving away 12-18 beers per 5gal batch.

I'm lucky if I get 10 bottles out of the whole 5gal batch. I'm happy to give my beer away, but the hoarding impulse is incredible! I have to really fight the stinginess...

"Can't you just have some water or something? Do you know how precious this beer is!?"

Depending on the particular batch, I can give away up to half of my beers. I recently brewed a full five gallons for a friend that is alergic to hops, but when someone really appreciates what you give them it makes it worthwhile.

I don't give away any really! Not being a tight scotsman (frugal really) it is just that my mates all just drink Cascade Draught, cans, bought in cartons (24 cans).

Gave a couple of long necks to my plumber the other day when he mentioned that he used to brew. Think it helped the bill. Also have given a couple of the ye olde rippers away, but not many!

I would if people wanted to drink them though.

I give away about one case of each brew. It is my way of giving back to the community!

The Pol

It's hard to quantify since I keg most of my beer. I do notice that I fill at least a couple growlers from each keg, .5-1 gallon each. And sometimes a line forms at the Usher during social evenings.

:mug:

Im only into my third batch. my 2nd and 3rd are in 2ndary. My first batch , I have 4 bottles left. guess i need to start making 10 gal batches

I bottle the beer I will drink at home in pints, the rest, in 12 oz bottles, are give aways. I usually end up with 12 to 18 twelves, and most of those make it out the door.

- magno

Personally I give away as much as possible. I get a great deal of satisfaction of friends and family trying my beer. I keep the bottles of course, but I like to give it away.

Besides when I give some away, I have to brew more and try different recipies.

:mug:

I usually give away about 1/2 of each batch I make. Either my neighbor helps me, or I take it and build a following at work with it. Kinda like liquid crack to those who never had good beer, and only drink the mass produced swill.

I'd say I give 50-75% away, but so far it's only been two batches. I like sharing with friends, and it keeps me from downing 5 gallons all by my lonesome.

Beermaker said:
Aww....not alone, call me and I will help. Are you going to the St Arnold pub crawl in the heights in Houston this friday night?

St. Arnold pub crawl this Friday? Details, please! :mug:

WINTER STOUT (AND OTHER) PUB CRAWL IN THE HEIGHTS THIS FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 16
Our first ever pub crawl venture into the rarified air of the Heights will be this Friday at 6 PM. Yes, we did say Winter Stout; we held back some kegs for this event. Of course, Spring Bock and other Saint Arnold beers will probably be in evidence as well. We will be using the open house technique again for the first 3 hours with a communal finish. Here's how it works:
We will be signing tickets at all four of the first four stops for three hours so people can split up between the establishments. You will get your ticket at whichever stop you decide to visit first. But, VERY IMPORTANT, we will only be handing out the tickets between 6 PM and 7 PM (or very shortly thereafter). Thus, you still need to start between 6 and 7. Then, at 9 PM, everybody will gather at one final stop and that is where we will award the glasses. The prize for making all five stops will be our Winter Stout pint glass. We will have a large but limited supply. And as always, designated drivers are both eligible for the award and encouraged to attend! So here is the layout. As always, we can't tell you exactly where we will be, but here are some general directions:

6 PM till 9 PM: We'll start at the intersection of Studewood and White Oak and look for 4 establishments around the four corners of the intersection.

At 9:00 we'll head west about 0.2 miles down White Oak.

Remember that cash is helpful, be kind to your waitstaff, and always, always appear in public enjoying a Saint Arnold. We hold those that arrange for transportation to and from or use designated drivers in the highest regard!

I also pm'ed you with this.
We are driving in from Beaumont friday for it.

I know I easily drank the majority of most of my brews. However, I have no problem bringing a six-pack or two to a get-together or letting my friends have a few pints while they're visiting. In fact, I left a corny of a recent brew at a friend's house to drink while I'm overseas. Now that I brew 15 gallon batches, I think I'll be giving away a lot more beer.

I don't give much away, simply because the majority of my friends are homebrewers. So, other than taking a growler to a club meeting for tasting, I drink most of it myself. The people that live around me think Steel beer is hot stuff.

I give very little beer away- I do drink a heck of alot of beer! When people come over, we drink my homebrew together. My daughter is going to hockey tournaments with her friend, and my "cost" is some homebrew. That's going to hurt!

I give wine away, though, especially to people who have shown appreciation for it in the past. When friends stop over, I'm usually in the cellar digging for something to give them to take with them.

It occurred to me that there could be a second part to this question: do you get anything in return?

I have 6 people that I regularly give samples from each batch to or share plenty of my homebrew with...of the 6, 2 will buy my morning java for me (co-workers) but the rest do not reciprocate in anyway. Not that I expect anything but it is awful nice of the two guys that do something in return and I appreciate the gesture. :)

don't really give it away, but i take it here and there and drink it with family and friends.

when my bro chips in and helps buy malt/hops and helps brew it, i give him about half of a batch. he seems to be able to store it longer than i can... ;)

I used to give away more than I currently do....now that I feel "validated" that my beer is actually good. :) I have no problem giving beer to other homebrewers as I will always get some in return. Otherwise, I give beer to anyone I feel would truly appreciate it or do not otherwise "like" beer. I also give beer to those I think would like the hobby.

If I gave everyone who wanted some away I would have none for myself! Apfelwein I give away freely...it is inexpensive, quick, and easy to make.

Cheers.

BrewStef

I give away a few liters of each batch to friends and 1 neighbor who is going to help me build my 10 gallon AG rig. The carbonator caps make it easy to go from keg to my 1.5 liter bottles.

I don't exactly give away much (as in handing over a sixer to someone). But I share about a quarter to a third of each batch at family events, after-work sit-downs, beer tastings and similar thing. What I get in return is generally good fellowship and compliments on my beers.

Back