Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First attempt at a pork butt.

ForumRunner_20130602_070556.png

Got a couple racks of ribs going in the smoker shortly! Been sitting in rub all night!

First attempt at a pork butt.

I make pork butt all the time. Honestly I think it impossible to not have it come out perfect.

About 1 hour per pound. I stopped worrying about mopping, just don't touch it. Keep it low and keep the smoke going.

I make pork butt all the time. Honestly I think it impossible to not have it come out perfect.

About 1 hour per pound. I stopped worrying about mopping, just don't touch it. Keep it low and keep the smoke going.

Awesome, its going good so far, temp is steadily rising. I brined them for about 10 hours and then put a dry rub on them this morning

Awesome, its going good so far, temp is steadily rising. I brined them for about 10 hours and then put a dry rub on them this morning

Once you have done it a couple of times you won't even need to check the temp. I stopped a while ago and never looked back.

Once you have done it a couple of times you won't even need to check the temp. I stopped a while ago and never looked back.

What is your target temp? I have read a few different things. Some say 175, 195, 200. I am going for 180.

Looks like you did it right. You lucky batard pulled butt sandwiches sounds awesome. Two regular forks works pretty well at pulling a butt. Happy eating. Chopps

Unfortunately I have to work this weekend. But, to make up for it, I'm smoking two butts for pulled pork to take to the motorcycle rally next week. Good food, good friends and good beer in the great outdoors....yes please

I am. Two of my BGE friends and I are having a pulled pork contest, should be fun.

Here is my butt from last weekend.

O43IJlP.jpg

Here are my first ever smoked ribs i did last saturday, baby backs were dry rubbed only and country style were rub with sauce. they turned out surprisingly good for my first attempt! I have a pork should for this weekend i am going to try :)

2013-06-01 14.44.55.jpg

I am smoking a nice sized pork shoulder, cant remember exactly how big but it should turn out great after the mods i made to my WSM!

Last weekend I finally made it back to the ranch to use my Dad's smoker. For four days straight I had that thing going. First I did the cheeses, gouda, pepperjack, cheddar, and two large packs of string cheese, then I did three different types of chex mix, then I did sirracha blazing pistachios. Day two was more blazing pistachios with different types of hot sauce, the pepperplant and sirracha ones were great, my parents returned with some fresh salmon they had just caught so we smoked some of that too. Third day was two large park butts using two different recipes. Four day was packaging and cleaning.

It was a long four days but it was a lot of fun.

This thread reminded me that I need to order some wood pucks for my bradley smoker.

Photos and BBQ are looking good guys!

Saturday had friends over so we did a pork butt, and one buddy had bought a pig from a local farmer, so he brought over a ham and a couple breasts from some wild turkeys he shot. Smoked all of that on the WSM with some homemade bratwurst for appetizers.

Now I'm about to fire it up again for some Father's Day brisket for my Dad and FIL.

Saturday had friends over so we did a pork butt, and one buddy had bought a pig from a local farmer, so he brought over a ham and a couple breasts from some wild turkeys he shot. Smoked all of that on the WSM with some homemade bratwurst for appetizers.

Now I'm about to fire it up again for some Father's Day brisket for my Dad and FIL.

How'd the wild turkey turn out? I have always had to resort to some type of injection to keep my geese moist.I've smoked some venison but tends to lean towards a jerky type texture.

dont have pictures but i smoked 2 racks of baby back ribs today for my father, turned out great and now i smell awesome all day:D

Haven't smoked in a while. Maybe a whole chicken with some spare pork ribs next weekend.

14lbs pork shoulder at 11pm Friday night.

After 16 hours on apple smoke at 210f

And breakfast this morning. Crisped pulled pork, melted fontina, fried egg on Hawaiian toast.

ForumRunner_20130616_131953.jpg

ForumRunner_20130616_132020.jpg

ForumRunner_20130616_132042.jpg

And breakfast this morning. Crisped pulled pork, melted fontina, fried egg on Hawaiian toast.

That sounds great. More detail please. what is crisped pulled pork? Do you fry it?

...also why we are talking breakfast pulled pork omelets are fantastic.

Fathers day vittles Spatchcock Chickens and Babyback ribs:

2013-06-13110823_zps3e90c5c3.jpg

Ribs:
2013-06-13155057_zps05f0deae.jpg

I had to improvise when I added the Chickens. I raised the ribs up with a bakers rack on a cookie sheet.

2013-06-13161104_zps5c7b612a.jpg

How'd the wild turkey turn out? I have always had to resort to some type of injection to keep my geese moist.I've smoked some venison but tends to lean towards a jerky type texture.

The turkey was pretty good. He brined it overnight in a simple salt/sugar brine then we wrapped in bacon. Seemed to hold the moisture pretty well.

Smoking a 13.5 lb Prime whole packer brisket on my Masterbuilt Electric Smoker today. The thing was huge and when whole wouldnt fit on the rack. I had no choice but to cut it in half and cook most of the flat as a separate hunk. I am 10 hours into the cook at 225 degrees. The IT of the thinner flat portion is stalled out at 165, but I am going to ignore the urge to foil wrap or bump up the pit temp. I want to see how well it turns out this way. I probably have 4 more hours left to cook.

Back