Coffin cooling and other lessons I learned while building a keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With a 25 cf freezer I would think that there is enough room for plenty of kegs without a need for a collar.

As far a the base goes I don't have plans but its just some 2x4's screwed together. If I can find a photo I will post it.

The collar is not for keg volume, but to let holes to be drilled for gas lines and beer taps (started as a regular keezer and want to kick up the coffin keezer). I do not want my gas bottles inside the keezer.

I run my co2 bottle outside and just drilled through the lid behind the coffin

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Home Brew mobile app

So I'm finally getting around to dolling up my chest freezer & taps combo into something more presentable. After doing some reading I think I will be heading towards a copper heat sink or even a hard drive liquid cooling system in the long run. However in the short term I have drawn up the following concept. The idea being to minimise the transfer of heat into the beer lines by keeping a small clear air pathway. I hope the single fan in the design not to be necessary.

To refer back to the hard drive liquid cooling system; mounting the heat sink to the underside of the top of the freezer. This will utilise the low profile of the heat sink by allowing as much room for kegs as possible. This setup will also men that the fan will be located in the pvc pipe beside the taps; further encouraging air flow between the coffin and the freezer. The liquid cooling system will also be wired in conjunction with the heat controller and independently. This will allow me to turn the liquid cooling system on only when serving; conserving energy.

Coffin Design.jpg

I'm getting ready to start my keezer build but I'm a little shaky on wiring and electrical work. Has anyone had any experience or have any advice on the use of a single power supply with multiple fans. I was looking at this power supply with one of these to allow for multiple fan connections. Just trying to cut down on the number of plugs being gobbled up by fans/power supplies.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still searching for answers on this but haven't found them yet... Has anyone tried liquid cooling for the coffin?

I had a hare-brained idea to run a loop of hose around the base of the freezer and up into the coffin, wrapped around the shanks and delivery tubing and then back down. All driven by a 12v pump (because I have some that are really quiet, small, and efficient). Should be almost totally silent.

I'm still in the "Honey, everyone else is kegging..." phase of discussions and probably won't start on a project of my own until Spring 2016 at the soonest, but I want to figure it out and plan before I start. Ideas? Feedback? Links to articles I have found with my weak Google-Fu?

So yeah, the Google-Fu improved right after I asked the previous question. I found PurpleHaze's threads about using the glycol cooled copper tubing to create passive cooling for the beer lines. I think I will incorporate that into my plans. Passive is even better than low powered pumps.

GreyRaven, the cooling I use has gone through some changes since the first keezer I made. If you have any questions post or pm me I'd be happy to answer them.

Some have used a cheap aquarium pump to move the glycol but that is for long runs, say from the basement to the first floor.

If you are going to have a collar on your kezzer than you will need a small computer fan to help circulate the cool air over the copper pipe.

Back