Dryness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sudndeth

Reaction score
So, we're making a 5gal. batch of mead to blend with a real sweet mead (1.030) that I made in May. For this batch I'm using the EV-118 yeast and 15lbs of honey. We have 17lbs total. Do you guys think this is going to be sweet enough? And when I mix it is it going to dry out the first meed too much? I would like a medium mead in the end.

Thanks

I'd cut back to 12 lbs, otherwise you'll have a semi-dry mead. A FG of 1.030 is extremely sweet and a semi-dry mead probably won't do the trick. As far as "sweet enough" only you can judge the mix. I would try 40/60, 50/50 and 60/40 mixes before going to the final mix.

You can always add some honey to any left-over dry mead.

I wasn't sure how much to go with. I think you're right I'll cut back. Thanks for the response.

Unless you stabilize it before blending, the EC-1118 will likely chew up the sugar in the sweet batch.

Well, made up the batch yesterday. We used 12lbs of honey, 4gal of water and the ec 118 yeast. Mixed it in Go Ferm and added the Fermaid K and DAP. That thing took off, way different than the Wyest Sweet Mead I used for the other batch which took almost 3 days to start. Tonight, we're going to add the second stage of nutrients and de-gass it. I think this is going to be a good batch I know it. May have to save some un-blended.

On a side note, we got this honey from a place here called Bee-City. They have their hives made up like a city, they're painted like a church, post office ect. Also, they have a cool petting zoo where you can feed lemurs, monkeys, lamas ect. The wife loved it. Honey was cheaper then the honey I bought for the other batch at the farmers market too.

Well, after about 24hrs we added the stage two nutrients and degassed. Waited a few days, degassed and took a hydro reading. The reading was at 1.024. Not bad, so we added the third stage addition and are letting it sit. The mead had a kind of funky smell that I really cant describe and the sample tasted like alcohol and didn't have a real distinct honey taste. I've never really had a dry mead, so is that common? I know the alcohol taste will fade with time so to say, but is it masking the honey flavor? And will this be good to blend with?

Lastly, for how long should I degass the mead?

1118 does give mead a funky smell/taste, but that will quickly age out. Dry mead should taste like a white wine with some floral accents.

OK, update, took gravity reading and it was at .998 at 70*, funky smell is starting to dissipate and it's clearing up nicely. It's already clearer than the sweet mead and that was started in May. Going to cold crash the sweet next soon. Is that pretty Dry?

Back