Beers with pop top (pry off) bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dae06

Reaction score
I searched for this and decided to start a thread to make it an easier search. I have compiled some beer and beer companies that use pop top bottles for those of us that like to buy beer and then use the bottles.

I myself can not tell if the bottle is a twist off or screw off with the cap on, so I would like everyone add to the list I have complied from searching through all these threads.

Here's what I have. Please correct me if I have any incorrect info.

Here goes: :mug:

Guiness
Sam Adams
Red Hook
Celis
Schalafly
Big Sky
Saranac
Warsteiner
Boulder beer
Sierra Nevada beer
New Belgium
Fat Tire

As far as I know those are all pry-tops. I can add a couple of brands that I have laying around the apartment.

Fullers
Two-Brothers
Bells
Flying Dog
Samuel Smith
Anchor

Not necessarily for Sierra Nevada... I have an empty 6 pack of SN pale ale... Twist off. there are two others however that I just thought of: Michelob craft beer series and Bells.

For the record....Sierra Neveda went to twist off for about a year but then converted back to pop tops. Most micro and regionals will have pop tops while many commercial beers will have the twist offs. I did notice that locally Blue Point uses twist off.

I myself can not tell if the bottle is a twist off or screw off with the cap on,

It's pretty easy to tell. A couple hints:

* Twist off caps almost always have some sort of indicator - an arrow or the word "twist" or something to that effect

* Twist-off caps have visible "threads" on the sides, running at an angle to the bottle itself.

Of course, if you're in the store and the bottles are safely enclosed in a cardboard 12/24 pack, this won't do you much good. ;)

It's pretty easy to tell. A couple hints:

* Twist off caps almost always have some sort of indicator - an arrow or the word "twist" or something to that effect

* Twist-off caps have visible "threads" on the sides, running at an angle to the bottle itself.

Of course, if you're in the store and the bottles are safely enclosed in a cardboard 12/24 pack, this won't do you much good. ;)

I looked at quite a few in the liquor store and couldn't see anything under the cap or any kind of twist off indicator. Maybe they where all pry off tops. I didn't want to spend $10.00 on a six pack and get the wrong bottles.:(

I picked up a 12 pack of Redhook Longhammer IPA and they were twist off bottles, to my surprise. After I noticed I tried twisting one off. Couldn't do it. Had to use a bottle opener even though it was obviously a twist off bottle. Seems odd since I get Red Hook all the time and they have always been pry tops. By the the way, Redhooks label just float off if soaked in Oxyclean. Easiest label I've come across.

I picked up a 12 pack of Redhook Longhammer IPA and they were twist off bottles, to my surprise. After I noticed I tried twisting one off. Couldn't do it. Had to use a bottle opener even though it was obviously a twist off bottle. Seems odd since I get Red Hook all the time and they have always been pry tops. By the the way, Redhooks label just float off if soaked in Oxyclean. Easiest label I've come across.

I have found the same with Goose Island beers. They are twist-off, but hell if I can twist those things off.

Not necessarily for Sierra Nevada... I have an empty 6 pack of SN pale ale... Twist off. there are two others however that I just thought of: Michelob craft beer series and Bells.

They haven't used the twist-offs in a couple of years, I hope you didn't drink that recently.

how about shock top

Yes, all of the "craft beers" produced by Michelob are pry off. Also Bud American Ale is pry-off as well, relatively inexpensive and not all that bad. Plus the bottle is kinda cool looking (minus the AB logo on the side)

Also, if you all have a trader joes near by, their brand of beer (at least in ATL) are all pry-off. I've enjoyed all of the TJ beers I've had and I think their only $5.99 for a sixer.

I was going to say the same thing. All of the Michelob craft beer series I've had so far are "pry offs".

Pry off:
Abita
Original Sin
Corona but is in a clear bottle (bad)
Stella Artois but is in a green bottle (not as good as brown)
Anything found in my fridge

Youngs Double Choc Stout is in a euro pint pry off but it seems its a few .001mm's larger than US tops and the crown seals but isnt as evenly crimped as the rest. Has anyone had any problems with Young and Wells bottles like this or am I just noob-erific?

I've been hesitant to use Guinness bottles because of the nitrogen widget thing they have in them.

I remember the widget in the cans, but the last two six packs of Guinness I drank and cleaned up didn't have a widget in them...........................Did they?:confused:

I've been hesitant to use Guinness bottles because of the nitrogen widget thing they have in them.

Guiness are my favorite bottles to use.....turn bottle updisde down to get widget to fall toward neck...and reach in w needle nose and pull out.

Label comes off easy....slice with razor blade and pull it off.....

Plus.....Guiness is my favorite commercial beer to drink.... :mug:

HossTheGreat said:
Yes, all of the "craft beers" produced by Michelob are pry off. Also Bud American Ale is pry-off as well, relatively inexpensive and not all that bad. Plus the bottle is kinda cool looking (minus the AB logo on the side)

Shock top raspberry wheat is NOT pry off, it twists off.... Looking at one now.

I've noticed some pry top bottles don't work with my "wing" capper. They're mostly Belgian imports that have a really tall and shallow crown. It just won't quite go all the way because the mouth of the jaws, which should sit below the shoulder of the crown, actually sit on the bottom of the crown and can't quite fully close.

They may work fine with a bench capper, but I have to check twice.

I cant even remember the last time I bought a beer that was a twist off. I never buy beers just for the bottles. I buy what I want to drink. But I do like the unmarked brown bottles. I have a bunch of sam adams but it has the raised lettering on them. Dont like that. Maybe I am weird.

I am however looking to get a six of clear bottles. Just put one beer per batch in them for reference. Maybe I am due for some New Castle... Hope they are pop tops.

New Castle are pop tops...

But, don't buy a sixer. They are a bit skunky. A 12 pack SHOULD be better, because they are better shielded from UV.

New Castle is pretty darn tasty out of the mini-keg, however :)

I thought I remember Shock Top being twist off....but that was last summer. Pretty sure they were twist offs in the store.

Is Michelob Amber Bock pop top? It is near half the price of all of the craft beers, and I am still building a homebrew supply...

I have found the same with Goose Island beers. They are twist-off, but hell if I can twist those things off.

GI used to be twist off, but all I've bought in the last year have been pry-offs.

Twist-off bottles have a small ridge below the cap that pry-off bottles lack, in addition to indicators mentioned earlier in this thread.

Guiness are my favorite bottles to use.....turn bottle updisde down to get widget to fall toward neck...and reach in w needle nose and pull out.

Label comes off easy....slice with razor blade and pull it off.....

Plus.....Guiness is my favorite commercial beer to drink.... :mug:

THIS. Guinness are best & easiest bottles of all to prep.

Also, Saranac are pry-offs, but the labels are a ***** to get off.

Back