PET bottle cleaning question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bdogg

Reaction score
Hey,

I clean all my equipment and wine bottles with the pink chlorinated trisodium phosphate cleaner.

Anyway the deal is you soak them for 20 minutes. After I did this all the bottles had a cloudy white powderish residue on them. Any idea why this might happen? I haven't had this happen before.

I've never used the TSP cleaner on my bottles, but I get a whitish residue if I try to use Oxi-Clean. We have well water that it loaded with minerals, and that's the source of the problem. I got those particular bottles clean by using an acid wash (white vinegar). Now, if I have to actually clean bottles (which I usually only do when I get them & delabel) I use PBW by 5 Star Chemical. It's more expensive, but the formulation won't form that film on my bottles. My other alternative would be to use RO water from the grocery store, but that would tend to wipe out my savings by using the cheaper cleaner.

I thought maybe it had something to do with the water. It hasn't happened to me before but now it's winter... so maybe they've changed the water somehow.

Also, in case anyone ever searches this... for sanitizing I use sodium metabisulphate (a rinse off sanitizer that is sold at most wine making stores), and when sprayed on it immediately dissolved whatever the filmy material was. I keep a spray bottle full. A spritz and a quick rinse and the bottles are sparkling clean.

Back