Add more cider to bring down SG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PiecefulToker

Reaction score
Hi all,

Started a batch of cider/graff/braggot last night with:

3lb amber DME
~4.5lb honey
4gal apple juice/cider
1gal purified water
1 5g packet Nottingham ale yeast rehydrated

OG = 1.100

Brought 1gal water to a boil, added the DME and turned off the heat. Covered and let sit for ~30 minutes, then put in ice bath. Added honey while still somewhat warm to help dissolve. Poured apple juice into fermenter, then added DME/honey mixture. Rehydrated yeast and pitched.

Pitched the yeast at about 9PM last night, and it is bubbling slowly this morning. My question is, should I add more apple juice to bump up my volume and bring the gravity down a little bit? I was shooting for ~1.085, but obviously I undercalculated it.

I am gonna add some pectic enzyme and a dose of Fermaid-K, and I was wondering if I should just go ahead and add a little more juice. I know if I am gonna add more sugars, I need to do it ASAP.

Any thoughts?

Can you? Yes, and since you wanted a lower SG, I'd say do it. No reason you couldn't just use some water.

Note: there will be many people who say NO based on the desire to have as high an ABV as possible.

were you going for an apple wine? if you dont want it to taste like a dry white wine, done use wine yeast and DO dillute it. If you want to let it age a year or more and like wine, leave as is.

In case you missed it, I used 5g of Nottingham on this batch and it is bubbling like crazy with a thick krausen this morning.

Total liquid was 4.5gal apple juice, 1gal water, OG was 1.100 before the extra .5gal juice addition yesterday.

I'd like to bottle carb and start drinking this in a few months, which is why I used the Nottingham and not a wine yeast like D-47 or 71B. It should be interesting to see how far the Notty takes it.

Back