My first mead recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJBod129

Reaction score
Background:

I recently bottled my first mead (Joe's Ancient Orange Mead), so my 1 gallon jug is open. :eek: I was at my LHBS yesterday, and got some honey but I can't find a recipe that I have a majority of the ingredients for, so I was thinking I would create my own. This is where I need help from the experts (that would be you, who is reading this).

Oh, and a big thanks to the Apple Clove Recipe (BigKahuna, I believe) that I read here. My inspiration for trying to come up with something on my own.

Recipe:
3Lb wildflower honey
3 Apples (Not sure what kind, any recommendations?)
2 Cinnamon Sticks
2 Cloves
1 packet Bread Yeast
Water to top off to 1 gallon

Heat up 6 cups of water to ~110 deg F
Remove from heat
Dissolve honey, add 1 cinnamon stick.
Cover with Lid and let sit
Peel and Core one of the apples, core the remaining 2 apples (skin left on)
Chop all into small cubes (~1/4 inch per side)
Add 5 cups cold water to fermenter
Add all ingredients (except yeast) to fermenter
Cool fermenter to yeast pitching temp
cap and shake fermenter (high tech aeration)
Pitch yeast
Attach airlock.

So, what do you think? Think it would be OK? should I change anything? I have to get to work now. I'll check back periodically, to see if anyone responds.

You may want to consider cutting the cloves back to just one per gallon, it can be pretty potent. I am not sure about the use of cut up apple and how much flavor they can provide. Juicing apples or just using juice will for sure provide more flavor.

Oh and you have a LHBS and you're using bread yeast? I don't even follow that logic haha Yeah JAOM uses it, but there are plenty of better choices. And I've made something similar to Malkore's MAOM, which is a modernized version and yes it ends up better with some proper techniques and yeast.

Other than that, sounds great.

You may want to consider cutting the cloves back to just one per gallon, it can be pretty potent. I am not sure about the use of cut up apple and how much flavor they can provide. Juicing apples or just using juice will for sure provide more flavor.

Oh and you have a LHBS and you're using bread yeast? I don't even follow that logic haha Yeah JAOM uses it, but there are plenty of better choices. And I've made something similar to Malkore's MAOM, which is a modernized version and yes it ends up better with some proper techniques and yeast.

Other than that, sounds great.

The reason I'm using bread yeast is because I bought some to make JOAM, but they only had the three pack... Since I don't bake, at all, I figured I might as well use it up, since I already have it.

The reason I'm using bread yeast is because I bought some to make JOAM, but they only had the three pack... Since I don't bake, at all, I figured I might as well use it up, since I already have it.

I have a better use for that yeast. Boil it for a couple minutes in a little water and use it as a yeast nutrient for your wine yeast. The only good reason for use bread yeast in mead is if you cannot get anything better. The $0.50 spent on a packet of yeast is money well spent.

Also, be careful with those cloves. They can be potent. Try 1 per gallon and if you still feel you need more clove flavor add a second in the secondary.

Craig

Back