AHS Double Chocolate Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefchris

Reaction score
I'm looking for what to brew for my first batch. I love Young's and this sounds delicious. Would this be a good beer young, or would I need to age this for a couple months?

Thanks,
Chris

Sounds like a good choice for a first batch. Stouts are generally pretty forgiving for beginners because the big flavor can hide little imperfections that would otherwise come out in a lighter beer.

Double chocolate stouts are pretty big beers and generally, the bigger the beer, the longer you have to age it. It'll be a test of your patience but I think you will be rewarded with a great brew.

Let us (me) know how it's going - I have it in the pipeline but still have one ahead of it.

An AHS Tommyknocker Nutbrown Maple first then the Double Chocolate.

Yeah that Would be a Great First brew.... It was mine... Comparing to Young’s Double Chocolate Stout AHS's Chocolate Stout needs a bit more Chocolate added in my opinion. Also the mouth feel is a little off, Being a stout it finishes some what dry. I would add some Dextrose for mouth feel.

Keep us informed Chefchris.. Welcome and Brew ON... :mug:

I would go with exactly what the recipe says and THEN tweak the 2nd batch. You need to baseline and then make tweaks.

I've read a lot of reviews where people have tweaks a recipe and then said they did not like that recipe. Well . . . . if you tweak a recipe then you are not following it and you can not make an informed decision.

I would tell you to go with a hefeweizen for your first. Hefe's are really good when they are young imo. Once it's done fermenting bottle for a week and you are good to go.

+1 on the Hefe for a first.

Our club had a extract vs. all grain challenge and all the beers were tasted and in my opinion the extract with dry yeast were just as good as the triple decocted with 4ml liquid yeast batches.

I bottled an AHS Double Chocolate Stout about a month or so ago and I just got back from a three week trip and opened one up and it tasted GREAT! The extra time did a world of good. If you can, try and let it sit for a few weeks longer than normal. Good Luck.

I really like this kit. I have made it with and without cherry flavoring and prefer it without. My next batch I will add 2-3 oz more cocoa and maybe a half a vanilla bean just to help bring out the chocolate flavor.

You cant go wrong with an Austin Homebrew Kit. I did their Bavarian hefe and it was AMAZING. They also have the widest variety of clone kits i have ever seen.

I just brewed the ASH Tommyknocker Nutbrown Maple Ale today. Can't wait

BTW = the comments and reviews area on their site is really helpful.

Just a catch up note - I brew the AHS Double Chocolate Stout Mini-Mash version. It's been in the bottle 24 days now and it is tasting pretty darn good.

I was at a meeting and passed some around and a guy of unknown tastes said it tasted just like a Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter he had last night and loved it.

Well . . . . . . I take it for what it's worth.

On a side note - I have had 3 people who do not like dark beers come back for seconds. "This is so smooth" they say.

It'll be interesting to see how this ages . . . . thank God I have more beer so this will not disappear TOO fast.

Back