Grassy Off-flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

staticxxx

Reaction score
I made an DIPA that was on primary for two weeks then secodary for two weeks. Now it has been dry hopped in the keg for three weeks.

How long does it take for the Grassy-ness of a very hopped beer to smooth out for most people?

Sounds like a great LAWNMOWER beer. ahahahahahahahaha.

Sorry, not funny. I was just kidding.

I made an DIPA that was on primary for two weeks then secodary for two weeks. Now it has been dry hopped in the keg for three weeks.

How long does it take for the Grassy-ness of a very hopped beer to smooth out for most people?

That's probably not an off flavor. What hops did you use to flavor?

DIPAs are supposed to have an insanely intense hop flavor. I tasted a grip of them at the homebrew meeting on sunday and it was quite an experience (I'm bringing water with me from now on, my palate was beyond blown out otherwise). Considering that "most people" have never drank a highly hopped beer in their life, the time to appreciation might be never.

I've read that the aromatic oils in hops starts to break down after about 2 years. If you're asking how long your DIPAs should age, I think most of the homebrews I tried this weekend were a couple or three months old.

i don't remember off hand what i used for the flavoring addition, but I did use six different types of hops.

Give it 3 months. At a certain point, the residual chlorophyll in the hops can gang up on you. Particularly if the hops weren't stored well. This can be a big problem in fresh hop ales, which is why they tend to be at the low end of the IPA scale.

My first brew was a 100% ahtanum pale ale around 40 IBUs. Tasted like a freshly mowed lawn at three weeks (I was impatient obviously). A month and a half later it was awesome.

I'm thinking of doing a double IPA soon to crack in November.

- Eric

Back