1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This has probably been answered already but besides 1 gallon jugs what other fermentors are people using for 1 gallon size brews? I am going to be limited to stove top brewing the next several months. Send me a pm if you like.

I picked up a 2 gallon bucket from my LHBS for my first gallon batch last weekend. The guy in the store recommended it so that I wouldn't have to worry about losing too much to blowoff.

I have some 3 gallon buckets but I was thinking that tis could be way too much head space.

I use 5 gallon carboys when I brew 2.5 gallon batches so far no trouble with too much head space. I am using a 3 gallon carboy for a 1.25 gallon batch right now. The co2 from the initial fermentation will 'blanket' the beer so head space hasn't been an issue for me. Go ahead and use the 3 gallon buckets unless you decide to secondary then head space should be minimized.

I use 5 gallon carboys when I brew 2.5 gallon batches so far no trouble with too much head space. I am using a 3 gallon carboy for a 1.25 gallon batch right now. The co2 from the initial fermentation will 'blanket' the beer so head space hasn't been an issue for me. Go ahead and use the 3 gallon buckets unless you decide to secondary then head space should be minimized.

Thanks for letting me know that these sizes will work. There is a local bakery that sells their 3 gallon frosting buckets ofr $2.00 including a lid. I was just uncertain about having 1-1.25 gallons of beer with 2 gallons of head space to be too much open space for the CO2 to blanket. I didn't know if trying to ferment 1 gallon of beer would produce enough CO2 for a proper blanket. Thanks for the response.

Does the 'three weeks in primary' wisdom that is widely accepted here apply to gallon batches as well? Or is two weeks, as the Brooklyn Brew Shop book recommends, suitable for a gallon batch? I can argue both sides in my head, but want to see what others think.

I have seen instructions that say 1 week as well but I generally ignore instructions and go with what works for me - 3 weeks.

My first batch, BBS grapefruit honey ale, is in the fermenter now. It's been there two weeks and a day. I was thinking I would bottle in the next few days, because the recipe calls for 2 weeks and because there had been a gradual decline in visible activity the first week down to no visible activity the second week. Every day it was looking clearer. Today, I took a look at it, and it's opaque again, bubbles everywhere! Has anyone else seen sleeping beauty behavior like this from their yeast?

I bought the ingredients for making a couple batches of the BBS recipe New Year Beer. Looking forward to getting started on that!

Does the 'three weeks in primary' wisdom that is widely accepted here apply to gallon batches as well? Or is two weeks, as the Brooklyn Brew Shop book recommends, suitable for a gallon batch? I can argue both sides in my head, but want to see what others think.

Its not about batch size...all bottles are the same. I give it even longer for 16oz or more. If there is any major influence on how long its ABV and not batch size. The higher the ABV, the longer it usually takes

MTate37 said:

I pretty much do the same for a 5 gallon batch that I do for a small batch. If I have a small beer 1.050 and below I will ferment a week and dry hop a week in primary. Above 1.050 I will leave it for 2 weeks then dry hop for a week for a 3 week total. Sometimes with a really light session beer I will give it 3-4 days to ferment, 4 days dry hop and get it bottled quick as long as I know my FG is stable. And....sometimes they go quick too... I'm seeing a pattern here!

Just starting up gallon batches today, going to need a second 2 gallon primary if I intend to do a batch a week. Not sure why I thought to myself a one week primary would be enough. Planning stuff out for two weeks and I knew I was missing a small detail, haha. Just got to hit up Walmart or big lots for a new kettle and I'm good to go. Excited to be inside brewing all winter now haha. Thanks to everyone that's posted their thoughts here, its helped me tweak my system to what I want. Cheers

Can someone chime in about dry hopping our 1 gal batches? I have never done it before and I have a couple of recipes that call for it. How do I do it? Thanks.

Are one gallon brews small enough that you don't need a yeast starter, nutrient, or aeration? You can pitch just about any type of yeast in any form without much worry?

wmarkw said:
Can someone chime in about dry hopping our 1 gal batches? I have never done it before and I have a couple of recipes that call for it. How do I do it? Thanks.

Essentialy, the same as with bigger batches. It depends in which form(whole, pelletized) are your hops. I recommend using sanitized small hop bag with marbles or ss washer, nut, bolt etc. Using some tied dental flos to pull it later from fermenter.

You still need to aerate but is simple when it is such a small batch, shake the ____ out of the bucket or glass carboy.

ThePonchoKid said:
Are one gallon brews small enough that you don't need a yeast starter, nutrient, or aeration? You can pitch just about any type of yeast in any form without much worry?

Aeration, nutrients yes. Starters rather not. Rehydrated dry yeast or smack pack usualy will do.

I think more often about doing 1 gals for experimentation with various yeasts is all. Would also like to keep it simple and was hoping I could rule out nutrients at the least

Nutrients are not really needed. 1/2 or 1/4 tsp is more than enough, if you would like to use them. No stress Bro :)

Essentialy, the same as with bigger batches. It depends in which form(whole, pelletized) are your hops. I recommend using sanitized small hop bag with marbles or ss washer, nut, bolt etc. Using some tied dental flos to pull it later from fermenter.

Awesome thanks. As for the hop bag is there something "around the house" i could use or do i need to order one? As for sanitizing it; just spray the heck out of it with starsan? I will be using pellet hops.

Well, I heard that people used socks and in more romantic version even stockings :). But if you're not tight on time, get yourself a muslin hop bags. They're not expensive and reusable :)
'Starsaning' will do :) Hops are also not sterile after all, and to this point beer should have some alcohol already.

I like hoppy beers so an ounce or more in a hop bag will do. I use sanitized marbles in my hop bag

brewed a Belgian blonde (ish). A little low on my og, and barely hit 1 gallon...lame. But I'll post it on my blog later.

View attachment 80590

Oh and check out the new addition, a stainless steel prep table! $25, but it was a bear to get into my basement.

View attachment 80591

Did you use a grommet on the caps, or did you just drill a hole the same size as your tube and airlock?

For those that use 1gallon for testing, how consistent is the taste when you decide to make a larger batch. Also on the same note, any tips for how to create a consistent tasting beer?

Caramel Vanilla Ale.

20121026_000444.jpg

Did you use a grommet on the caps, or did you just drill a hole the same size as your tube and airlock?

If you have 1 gallon carboys...you can get 38mm screw caps that fit airlocks and tubing perfectly, since its a screwcap, it can not blow off no matter how vigorous the fermentation. I found that labelpeelers was the only place I could order them but they are dirt cheap and last forever.

If you have 1 gallon carboys...you can get 38mm screw caps that fit airlocks and tubing perfectly, since its a screwcap, it can not blow off no matter how vigorous the fermentation. I found that labelpeelers was the only place I could order them but they are dirt cheap and last forever.

Found it http://labelpeelers.com/equipment-caps-c-4_127.html
They come with the hole pre-drilled. Thanks! :ban:

LabRatBrewer said:

Caps came with holes in them. Pretty sure they are available at any hbs.

wmarkw said:

I just put them in one of the disposable socks. They float sometimes, sink sometimes. I never worried about it seems I get a good amount of aroma.

For those that use 1gallon for testing, how consistent is the taste when you decide to make a larger batch. Also on the same note, any tips for how to create a consistent tasting beer?

consistency is pretty much relative. tips? write down notes and detail every nuance that you can observe and that you feel has value.

even after only 6 AG batches I've noticed my notes have become more detailed

I think I'm sold on 1 gallon brews now. I love making 5 gallon brews. I love making beer from scratch.

but 5 gal is too much to turnover when all I want to do is experiment A LOT.

only thing that worries me is bottle conditioning. I didn't really want to go there

Can anyone comment on my hops here? I'm trying to experiment and also use up some older freezer hops. From my quick read I think these will be ok flavor???

Fruit Looper Ale

32oz 2-Row
3 oz 60L
2 oz Honey Malt
1.5oz oats
.4 oz columbus (60 mins)
.2 oz Haleratu (30 mins)
.2 oz Saaz (5 mins)
10 oz Fruit Loops (10 mins)
I also have a little bit of the blue moon spice pack i'm going to finish off; maybe a tablespoon or so at the last 10 mins.

Mashing right now at 155*; then will sparge at 170*ish for 10 mins. I dont do OG/FG so I have no clue what those numbers are. Thanks!

wmarkw said:
Can anyone comment on my hops here? I'm trying to experiment and also use up some older freezer hops. From my quick read I think these will be ok flavor???

Fruit Looper Ale

32oz 2-Row
3 oz 60L
2 oz Honey Malt
1.5oz oats
.4 oz columbus (60 mins)
.2 oz Haleratu (30 mins)
.2 oz Saaz (5 mins)
I also have a little bit of the blue moon spice pack i'm going to finish off; maybe a tablespoon or so at the last 10 mins.

Mashing right now at 155*; then will sparge at 170*ish for 10 mins. I dont do OG/FG so I have no clue what those numbers are. Thanks!

Hmmm not sure. What are you making? I looks about 6% abv maybe a little more if its a 2lb 2row. If the 2 row is 3 lbs 2 oz it's over 9%. Yet, your hops are more like a pilsner? Hallertau and saaz are great together and can work in a pilsner but what's up with the fruit loops? Lol

Hmmm not sure. What are you making? I looks about 6% abv maybe a little more if its a 2lb 2row. If the 2 row is 3 lbs 2 oz it's over 9%. Yet, your hops are more like a pilsner? Hallertau and saaz are great together and can work in a pilsner but what's up with the fruit loops? Lol

I agree the hops work nicely together. I think I'd sort the fruit loops by color and do a SMaSHSL (single loop) SMaSH to test the flavors. :ban:

Quick question.

I only have one bottling bucket, but two 1 gallon batches I want to bottle today (an IPA and a brown ale). Can I just rinse out and re-sanitize the bottling bucket for the second batch after bottling the first, or should I wash the bucket out again?

I'll be using carb tabs if that helps, so no priming solution to make/mix with these beers.

Yeah that should be no problem. If you aren't mixing any priming solution then why don't you just attach the bottling wand to the auto-siphon and go straight from the fermenters to the bottles? Just seems easier to me.

Fruit Looper Ale

32oz 2-Row
3 oz 60L
2 oz Honey Malt
1.5oz oats
.4 oz columbus (60 mins)
.2 oz Haleratu (30 mins)
.2 oz Saaz (5 mins)

Seems like a lot of fruit loops for only a gallon.Did you conjure up that idea or has anybody used them with good results? Let us know how it turns out.

Yeah that should be no problem. If you aren't mixing any priming solution then why don't you just attach the bottling wand to the auto-siphon and go straight from the fermenters to the bottles? Just seems easier to me.

I use a short piece of tubing to connect the bottling wand to the spigot on my bottling bucket (search for Revvy's bottling methods thread). The bottling bucket is a 3 gallon bucket I got from BiLo. I got my 2 gallon fermenting buckets from there too.

Since I have two batches to bottle, I may try both methods.

Seems like a lot of fruit loops for only a gallon.Did you conjure up that idea or has anybody used them with good results? Let us know how it turns out.

Well I'm basing this off a Fruity Pebbles beer that i made last year which turned out awesome. I found the recipe somewheres but the hops were different and i wanted to use up some older ones. I decided to go with the Loops as they were on sale; I'm cheap lol. But I'm not sure what the affect would be with too much cereal; more sugar = higher abv? The color looks interesting though as of now. I will report back.

I think I'm going to get into these 1 gallon kits, I feel like they would be great gifts and I can brew up beer for my fellow co-workers, making it easier to transport/bottle, etc.

Well I'm basing this off a Fruity Pebbles beer that i made last year which turned out awesome. I found the recipe somewheres but the hops were different and i wanted to use up some older ones. I decided to go with the Loops as they were on sale; I'm cheap lol. But I'm not sure what the affect would be with too much cereal; more sugar = higher abv? The color looks interesting though as of now. I will report back.

Fruit Loop beer? Yeah, please post some pictures when you report back. :cross:

Back