Chocolate Mint Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bike4ale

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm thinking of brewing a Chocolate Mint Porter. Too bad I didn't think of it sooner to have over the holidays! To me, the flavor combination just makes sense. Peppermint Patty Porter. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Has anyone ever brewed this? Has anyone ever tried or even heard of this? I don't have a specific recipe, but I did find a Chocolate Mint Stout in one of my books. I figure I can use a basic porter recipe....add about 6 oz bittersweet bakers chocolate (melted) towards the end of the boil....then add about 4 oz of fresh peppermint leaves in the secondary fermemter (like a dry hop).

Any thoughts or advice? I've never tasted one, but it sounds pretty tasty.

Bike4ale said:
Hi all,

I'm thinking of brewing a Chocolate Mint Porter. Too bad I didn't think of it sooner to have over the holidays! To me, the flavor combination just makes sense. Peppermint Patty Porter. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Has anyone ever brewed this? Has anyone ever tried or even heard of this? I don't have a specific recipe, but I did find a Chocolate Mint Stout in one of my books. I figure I can use a basic porter recipe....add about 6 oz bittersweet bakers chocolate (melted) towards the end of the boil....then add about 4 oz of fresh peppermint leaves in the secondary fermemter (like a dry hop).

Any thoughts or advice? I've never tasted one, but it sounds pretty tasty.

Sounds real good! I bottled my chocolate raspberry stout last night. I think the kit had too many hops, though. I followed their instructions to the letter, but the hops taste and aroma is too much for the chocolate and raspberry to break through. It was just an initial taste, and maybe after settling for a bit, the other flavors will break through. For my chocolate, I used 8 oz. of Hershey's Unsweeted.

hi,
actually i just constructed a recipe for this. ive posted it and had some comments made to help out. Im hopeing to have time to work on an updated version of it this week

Back