Stupid Question...CO2 Tanks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

levandr

Reaction score
So I am going to keg my batch of APA. It's ready to move from secondary to the keg... I have all the parts and built my kegerator. Now I just need gas.

The local gas supplier says they exchange tanks...they do not fill the specific tank that I bought/bring in. Do I care? A tank is a tank, right?

I told you it's stupid question.

levandr said:
The local gas supplier says they exchange tanks...they do not fill the specific tank that I bought/bring in. Do I care? A tank is a tank, right?
It's really up to you. Some people have bought brand new tanks that are cosmetically perfect, and don't want to swap them for some old beater. Others don't care what their tanks look like, so long as they are functionally equivalent.

A tank is a tank. Too bad they won't fill the one you already own, but the real question is whether you want to rent or buy. I own my 5 pounder but I have no choice but to rent my 50 pounder.

i always recommend people to buy an old tank that doesn' t look good to begin with. it is just as functional, and is significantly cheaper, and easier to swap when you need gas again.

When I moved here, I had two steel tanks. The local welding stop asked if I cared about getting aluminum in exchange. I should care? He actually charges extra for steel tanks, because he can. Plus, if you exchange you never have to pay for a hydro test.

Go for whatever is closest and easiest to replenish. I do the old rental/swap routine cuz the place I use I can go and exchange in less than 45 minutes.

Some places that fill, will make you leave it and come back "later".

Actually a great Q: I never thought about it, but I swap my CO2 w/o a thought, but I never swap my propane tanks.

The only difference I can think of is that my propane tanks were new and usually look far better than the swaps. The CO2's, however, are just average looking and swapping is a 50/50 as to whether it will improve or reduce appearance.

BierMuncher said:
Go for whatever is closest and easiest to replenish. I do the old rental/swap routine cuz the place I use I can go and exchange in less than 45 minutes.

This is one advantage. The guy said it takes as long as it takes him to write the reciept. Price seems reasonable at $22

And good point above...no hydrotest.

I think for the convience of it, swapping is my answer.

Thanks all for the replies.

BierMuncher said:

Biermuncher

My CO2 tank is on the way and should be here by next week. Being that we are both in St louie, where would you recommend I fill my tank?

cubbies said:
Biermuncher

My CO2 tank is on the way and should be here by next week. Being that we are both in St louie, where would you recommend I fill my tank?
There's a place off of Manchester a friend goes to but I'm not sure of the exact location. Place called M&K or somehting. I'll check with him on Monday.

My first tank was an nice purdy green steel one. Took it to the commercial CO2 place to get filled. cost 10 bucks, but they said they won't do it again as they only service the commercial sector. Great. Next place I went to they filled it, cost 10 bucks PLUS haz gas charge and a bunch of other stuff. Think it came to like 26 bucks. Third place I went to is a supply house that the company I work for gets supplies. They have acy and oxygen for torches, dry nitrogen for leak checking and dry charging refrigeration systems, so I just asked if they had CO2. Yep, exchange for 10 bucks. 'Course I had to give 'em my purdy green tank for their beat up black one, but it beats giving up the extra 16 bucks to have the purdy one filled. Personally, I wouldn't worry 'bout keeping your original tank. Now I got a beat up aluminum tank too that came with a kegerator I bought. Gonna trade that one in for another beat up black one.....

Allan

Back