American Pale Ale Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed this AG recipe on Dec.27, 2008. The only change I made was using Crystal 60 instead of 10 since I did not want a low SRM beer.
O.G. = 1.058
F.G. = 1.010

- Recommend consuming 6-8 weeks after brewing
(I kegged and tapped (Jan.13) at 10PSI, 2 weeks, 43F)
- This beer clears up extremely well!
- Has a bite in the beginning, but mellows with each sip.
- Good Cascade taste.
- More of an IPA than an Pale Ale

Changes (okay, it is great, but tweeks to my preference)
- Increase SRM to 9 or 10 (perhaps Crystal 90)
- Decrease bitterness level, slightly

Overall, a great brew! Thanks Ed. :mug:

Ok - so my first attempt at Ed's fabled Haus Pale Ale has been in the bottle for about 10 days. Coincidently, this was my first 10 gallon batch as well, and it turned out to be the brew day from hell. Everything from my propane tank freezing up on me and not bring able to get a real rolling boil going to realizing that my IC apparently had some residual water in it that had frozen and split the tubing (which I realized AFTER it had been added to the boil and then had the water turned on). Also, I don't have any room anywhere in the house that's warm, so the bottles are sitting in my basement, where it's definitely cooler than ideal conditioning temp.

The bottle I opened was still very cloudy - I chalk this up to not getting a good hot break or cold break, and barely carbonated - attribute that to the cool storage temps. The beer tasted pretty green, still a tad sweet and barely carbed.

I'm not worrying - I figure I can live with cloudy, and time will take care of the carbonation and green taste - right? I think? Maybe?

I'm not worrying - I figure I can live with cloudy, and time will take care of the carbonation and green taste - right? I think? Maybe?

Patience here will pay off big time. Let it finish conditioning fully, then let it sit in the fridge for a week before gently opening one. The longer it sits in the fridge, the better it will clear.

Go ahead and brew another batch and forget this one while it gets better.

It was about 15 degrees out when I brewed - there was at least 1/2" of ice all over the tank and valve, even with it sitting right next to the burner. I usually can't stand too close to the burner without cooking my ankles - nowhere near as hot this time.

RIBeer, I'm from Newport and I froze and cracked my wort chiller too. I also found this out when I was making Edwarts pale Ale. I also had the green taste forever. Its almost like I'm extracting every bitter grassy taste from the hops and malt.

The keg just kicked with out it ever being un green. We waited 8 weeks or more and It wasn't mellowing out, so we just drank it. It was very clear however. Ill be trying to brew this beer again over and over till I get it right.

I'm thinking the water in Newport area makes it challenging to make good beer unless your making a stout. I buy my water from Crystal Springs. Its 35 cents a gallon if you go to main place. I wont ever attempted to use my well water.

Ed-
I've tried to scan the thread, but its getting really long......anyway....have you ever tried using a first wort hop technique on this one?

I've brewed this recipe more than anyother and have been modifying it as I go for SWMBO. It sounds like FWH might be the way to go to mellow out and accentuate the hop flavor in this beer. Any thoughts or expierence with that process on this one?

Ed-
I've tried to scan the thread, but its getting really long......anyway....have you ever tried using a first wort hop technique on this one?

I've brewed this recipe more than anyother and have been modifying it as I go for SWMBO. It sounds like FWH might be the way to go to mellow out and accentuate the hop flavor in this beer. Any thoughts or expierence with that process on this one?

Never tried it. Let us know how it works out.

I just made my second batch of this recipe...

...I didn't buy enough cascades. I thought the recipe only called for one ounce.

So I raided the freezer and here's what I came up with:

1 oz cascades (5.9%) @ :60
1/2 oz Amarillo (4.?%) @ :30
1/4 oz Crystal (3.6%) @ :15
1/4 oz Crystal (3.6%) @ :05

I can't wait to see how it turns out.

I transferred this version to the keg yesterday and tasted the hydro sample. Wow! It is pretty damn good. Especially when you consider that I had to go the "Pot-Luck" route with the hops. In fact, I think the crystal adds a really nice bite to it.

It's in the on deck spot in the fridge. I'm looking forward to tapping it in a couple of weeks.

Thanks again for sharing.

I'm going to try the recipe, this weekend. I forgot to pick up 10L, so I'm going to wind up using the 20L I picked up for my father. I assume I can probably straight substitute .5lb 10L for 20L w/o any major difference. Also, the Cascades I have are listed at 4.6%,, can I just ratio it up and I'll be fine? (I think it's 1.43oz of my 4.6% is 1oz of Ed's 6.6%)

So, I'll probably do
1.5oz Cascade 4.6% at 60
.75oz Cascade 4.6% at 30
.33oz Cascade 4.6% at 15
.33oz Cascade 4.6% at 5

Or, I could get more accurate with grams
~41g Cascade 4.6% at 60
~20g Cascade 4.6% at 30
~10g Cascade 4.6% at 15
~10g Cascade 4.6% at 5

Also, Ed, to clarify your method: You said after the 60 minute mash, you add 5 quarts THEN vorlauf? I've been doing my 60 minute mash, doing my vorlauf and draining my first runnings, then my 2 batch sparges. I'm willing to try it either way. What's your experience with doing it the way I believe I read it and the way I've been doing it? Is it due to the thicker grist ratio that you want to avoid a stuck sparge? (I'm using a copper manifold on my 70 qt cooler).
:mug:

Well I just brewed up a PM version of this today, should be pretty good, I wish that I could have had an AG version to see how close it is. Used the following for fermentables and left the hop schedule the same compensating the amounts to get the IBU's the same.

1.5 lb of 2-Row
2.0 lb of Vienna
0.5 lb of Crystal 10
3.75 lb of Extra light DME

We shall see how it turns out!

Thanks Ed! :mug:

Im going to use this to pop my AG cherry but wanted something a little less grapefruit-ish So I was thinking this hop schedule. Any thoughts?

1 oz. Centennial boiled 60 min.
0.5 oz. Cascade boiled 30 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade boiled 15 min
0.25 oz. Cascade boiled 5 min

or

1 oz. Centennial boiled 60 min.
.5 oz. Cascade boiled 30 min.
1 oz. Centennial boiled 15 min
.5 oz. Cascade boiled 5 min

One week after bottling and I just couldn't wait...had to crack one open. Already, it is easily my best brew yet. I made the PM version. Outstanding Ed!!! I hope my Apfelwine turns out as good--we'll find out it a few weeks...

Well i made my first batch of this tonight just pitched the yeast at 9:45 est.
The smell in the garage was great.Will post follow up once kegged and carbed.Thanks for posting this recipe :mug:

I added this to my next online order, using a slightly modified recipe to accommodate what I have an hand:

Code:
Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
3.00 lb       LME Golden Light (Briess) [Boil for 15 minExtract      30.36 %       
4.00 lb       Pale Ale Malt 2-Row (Briess) (3.5 SRM)    Grain        40.49 %       
2.00 lb       Vienna Malt (Briess) (3.5 SRM)            Grain        20.24 %       
0.50 lb       Caramel Malt - 10L 6-Row (Briess) (10.0 SRGrain        5.06 %        
0.38 lb       Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM)               Grain        3.85 %        
0.50 oz       Magnum [14.00 %]  (60 min)                Hops         25.7 IBU      
0.50 oz       Cascade [6.60 %]  (30 min)                Hops         6.2 IBU       
0.25 oz       Cascade [6.60 %]  (15 min)                Hops         1.6 IBU       
0.25 oz       Cascade [6.60 %]  (5 min)                 Hops         1.0 IBU       
1.00 tbsp     PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min)         Misc                       
1.00 items    Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min)          Misc                       
1.00 tsp      Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 min)            Misc                       
2.00 gm       Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min)  Misc                       
1 Pkgs        Nottingham (Danstar #-)                   Yeast-Ale

IBUs according to Rager. Amount of Magnum subject to change depending on what IBU Cascades I get. Type and amount of extract subject to change depending on where I decide to buy from.

I'm really looking forward to this one - it sounds simple yet incredibly tasty.

I will be attempting the mini-mash of this today, but my LHBS does not carry light DME. They have extra light (pilsen), will this be okay, or should I hold off for a few more weeks. Thanks!

Brewed this on Sunday AG straight from the recipe on the first page. It's now bubbling away with a full head of krausen. The only difference is I used white lab's burton ale yeast, repitched from previous pale ale. Should turn out delicious! Thanks for sharing these recipes Ed!

3 weeks in the fermentor, 1 week in the bottle, and very VERY good. Just hope it lasts long enough to fully condition! I made the extract version, but I can see 10 gallons of the all grain in the very near future!

Just ordered the ingredients for 2 batches of the extract version. Can't wait!

Brewed the extract version... Probably the quickest disappearing beer I've made thusfar. Everyone seems to like it.

My other hobby is building computers and I tend to try to build the best bang for the buck models. This recipe seems to be a great bang for the buck model for this hobby :)

Brewed this as my first all grain. It has an interesting flavor that I can't figure our what it is. I missed my mash temperature on the low side by a couple degrees and also ended up with a little to much volume after the boil. The effects of these two mistakes are that the OG was a little low 1.048 instead of 1.051 and the final gravity was 1.007 instead of 1.011. The end result is a little thin, lacking body and slightly over carbonated and hazy, but it gets a little better after sitting and warming a bit.

The flavor I can't pin down is driving me nuts. I've tasted something similar in some golden ales before. I don't think its DMS because its not vegetal, cooked corn or rolling rock in nature. It's more bisquity or bready. Any ideas? I'm going to brew this recipe again, but I'd like to get some input from someone who knows what the beer is supposed to taste like when brewed well. If anyone experienced is interested (Ed), I'd be willing to mail a couple bottles to you if you'd be willing to offer constructive criticism.

That is a characteristic of the beer and comes from the Vienna malt. It's what makes it unique when compared to regular pale ales IMHO.

Well, hat's off to EdWort!

This is an outstanding beer.

I've been brewing for about a year and this is my best beer hands down... and I did a number of things wrong but recovered nicely. My family and friends are thinking I'm really starting to figure this stuff out. Little do they know it's the recipe, not the brew master....

Thanks for sharing this.

I just made my second batch of this recipe...

But, I didn't buy enough cascades.

So I raided the freezer and here's what I came up with:

1 oz cascades (5.9%) @ :60
1/2 oz Amarillo (4.?%) @ :30
1/4 oz Crystal (3.6%) @ :15
1/4 oz Crystal (3.6%) @ :05

I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Wow,

I tapped this keg two weeks ago and I'm really racing through it. That little hint of a "roasty/biscuity" flavor is really good.

I'm thinking of trying an experiment with this grain bill. Since I'm still fairly new and trying to learn, I'd like to experiment with different hops to familiarize myself with the flavor of individual hops.

I'm thinking about splitting this into several boils with a different hop in each boil adjusting the amounts to get similar IBUs.

Thanks for the recipe,

Kornbread

My buddy is getting Married June 27th and I told him I would bring 4 kegs to the wedding. This beer is going to fill two of the kegs since it is really easy to make and tastes great! My plan is to brew on the 19th of April keg after a couple weeks then let them sit for like 7 weeks or so.

Thanks Ed!

I am pretty sure the other 2 kegs will be filled with SWMBO Slayer. I think those two beers could satisfy everyone's tastes buds.

well finally got to taste this today it is still young 2 weeks in primary 3 days on gas and it tastes pretty damn good thanks :mug:

Well, I posted a while back on this thread about my first attempt at a 10 gal batch using Ed's recipe. To date that brew session was still my worst. We had problems and screw-ups left and right. It was really cold out, and the propane tank kept freezing up. We never really got a strong boil going. When it was time to chill, I realized after we started running water through the chiller that at some point it had frozen and burst. Well, long story short, it's a testament to how bad it really wants to be beer. Took about three months ofr it to clear and carbonate ( my basement was a lot colder than I thought it was), but I had a couple this evening and they were awesome. Still a bit cloudy, but really tasty, and amazing lacing from the creamy head. Can't wait to try this again now that I have all of the kinks worked out of my system!

Thanks for another awesome recipe Ed!

My last batch, I drank a case "testing carbonation'. Now that its carbed, I only have a case left.

Guess I need to get brewing.

Ed Wort is awsome, I'd never call him a mo-fo the next morning.

Ed, I had thought it was WLP001 for the yeast, which they were actually out of at the LHBS so I got US-05. Do you think this will have a big effect on the taste of the beer or should I get my hands on some Nottingham?

wow this is a great beer:mug:Iam realy enjoying this and it will be my first 10 gal batch and my first brew over i dont think this one will last long so want to get the pipeline full.

Ed, I had thought it was WLP001 for the yeast, which they were actually out of at the LHBS so I got US-05. Do you think this will have a big effect on the taste of the beer or should I get my hands on some Nottingham?

I'm no EdWort, but I have made this recipe and others like it with -05 with outstanding results.

I brewed 2 batches of this on Saturday afternoon/evening. I had forgotten which yeast the recipe called for (nottingham), so I got a Nottingham for one batch and a Windsor for the other. The Nottingham batch (into primary at about 9pm saturday night) had amazingly fast fermentation. At about 10 am Sunday morning it was bubbling hard and fast with a huge Krausen. As of this morning the krausen had already fallen and bubbling has all but stopped. The Windsor batch is going strong, but never got near as hard and fast as the other batch.

What kind of flavor differences can I expect from the Windsor batch?

Ed,
Just want to say thanks for the great recipe. I have my first batch of the haus pale ale in bottles and I must say that at 4 weeks in the bottles, they are tasting great. Still waiting for the magical 8 weeks to start consuming.
So far its only been a bottle for tasting at the 3 and 4 week mark.

Now for a change of subject, as noted by the title I was inspired by your recipe and was thinking of tweaking it and making a totally different beer. I just would like to get your feedback as I highly respect your wisdom.

I was thinking of keeping the grain bill the same but instead of cascade hops, I would use tettnanger hops for bittering and hallertau for flavor and aroma. Also, switch Notty and use a Kolsch yeast.

What is your opinion? would this make a decent beer? I do not have the ability to use a beer software and my only computer is here at work for the moment.

Any feedback would be appreciated. I just didn't want to post this recipe change after I brewed it, have the brew suck, then hear that I should burn the recipe and never think of it again.

Stagstout, I just don't understand why you'd start from a Pale Ale recipe if you want to make a totally unrelated and different beer. Grab a copy of Daniels, and make a recipe from scratch.

Ed,
Just want to say thanks for the great recipe. I have my first batch of the haus pale ale in bottles and I must say that at 4 weeks in the bottles, they are tasting great. Still waiting for the magical 8 weeks to start consuming.
So far its only been a bottle for tasting at the 3 and 4 week mark.

Now for a change of subject, as noted by the title I was inspired by your recipe and was thinking of tweaking it and making a totally different beer. I just would like to get your feedback as I highly respect your wisdom.

I was thinking of keeping the grain bill the same but instead of cascade hops, I would use tettnanger hops for bittering and hallertau for flavor and aroma. Also, switch Notty and use a Kolsch yeast.

What is your opinion? would this make a decent beer? I do not have the ability to use a beer software and my only computer is here at work for the moment.

Any feedback would be appreciated. I just didn't want to post this recipe change after I brewed it, have the brew suck, then hear that I should burn the recipe and never think of it again.

It might make a good beer, but if you want a Kolsch, I recommend trying my Kolsch recipe or run it through this online recipe calculator.

Personally, if I am going to use a good liquid Kolsch yeast, I will be making a Kolsch or an Oktoberfest Ale with it. If I use german noble hops, I'll make a typical german style beer.

Experiment online with the grain bill. Add a bit more crystal or bump up the lovibond. Toss in some flaked barley. There are all sorts of ways to make a different beer.

Back