Craigtube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do like watching hisvideos bit it always cracks me up when he uses that green hose to fill his fermenter up.

Like others here, I watched Craigtube before I started brewing. (I had actually brewed a couple of times in the early 90's.). While I only did a couple of extract kits before making the jump to all grain, his videos gave me the confidence to go at it, and was instrumental to getting an overall view of the process steps.

I like his stuff - some give him a bad rap, but he's gotten a lot of people to try brewing, so good on him.

Still watch his videos all the time. Seem like a guy that would be nice to sit and have a beer with. My only worry with his all grain attempt, is the bucket in bucket mash tun he is using. I have a feeling the temps are going to swing all over the place and the beer might not turn out as good as it would with a cooler.

mlyday said:
Still watch his videos all the time. Seem like a guy that would be nice to sit and have a beer with. My only worry with his all grain attempt, is the bucket in bucket mash tun he is using. I have a feeling the temps are going to swing all over the place and the beer might not turn out as good as it would with a cooler.

I share your mash tun worries, but if it turns out that it works, then he might be on to something. I have never seen that before.

I share your mash tun worries, but if it turns out that it works, then he might be on to something. I have never seen that before.

In the grand scheme of things, losing a few degrees over the course of your mash won't ruin you. I remember an old Brewing network Sunday show on brewing on the cheap, they discussed the two bucket MLT to save money.

Good ol' Craigtube. I still watch his videos. He seems like a good guy and, for some reason, I've just continued to follow what he's doing. I also like the fact that he kind of does a little bit of everything. I'm doing AG probably 75% of the time, but still enjoy an occasional extract or partial mash. Heck, I've even done canned kits from time to time.

I just wonder how old he is? He has younger kids in some of his videos, but recently he had his college aged daughter on again and then he had his older son come on a while back.

In regards to the extract-only aspect, I think he's stated a few times in his vids that he does it more to combat the high prices of alcohol in Canada as opposed to a devotion to the hobby. Arguably going AG would be even cheaper but you'd still need the initial investment in equipment as well as finding a reliable supplier, which he mentions are sparse in his neck of the woods. With that in mind I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how he goes about his upcoming AG brew.

Anyway, he seems like an awesome down to earth guy who you'd love to hang out and share a beer with, and I ultimately have him to thank for getting me started in the hobby. I'm still subscribed to his channel and watch all his new uploads. And as others have said, he has a lot of useful videos on the other areas of homebrewing (kegging, sanitization, mead making). Oh and he's a great musician too (imo)

Now if only he posted on HBT!

Looks like he's going to give all grain a shot. He came up with a cool way to make a mash tun, if he can find a way to insulate it.

I don't think he came up with the idea, it's a form of Charlie Papazian's zapap mash tun I believe. He could have given him credit in his video, just sayin'. :D

Just go to YouTube and type in craigtube and go to his channel. It is one of his most recent videos. He has a way of entertaining you and teaching you at the same time. I have seen every video and am brewing today because of him. I do AG 90% of the time but like to throw in a canned kit from time to time.

I too started brewing because of Craig's videos. I have also moved on to AG, but that doesn't stop me from watching his videos. They are always enjoyable, and as mentioned, he really is a nice guy. I even hang out on his Friday cast when I can and drink beer. He is 46, by the way.

Keep it up, Craig:mug:

I Dig his youtube channel and his live 'casts. You guys have said it all about him, brew info/demos, good in-depth detailed beer reviews, humor, cooking music, wine and mead, a family guy and loyal to his followers. His info just keeps getting better IMO. A guy that seemingly gets bye very nicely even with a few disadvantages. Dare I say - he just plain has charisma? You can't say that about everybody - and I think that's Craigs main attraction, charisma. Craig the Charismatic Canadian - ha!

Good to see him branching out with AG and no doubt other entertaining avenues - I'm in tune with Craig.

Did you guys know he can sing too? He has a few songs that he wrote and recorded on his web site and he is pretty good!

I like CraigTube a lot. He is very informative and is very casual and matter-of-fact. I enjoy his videos.

NRS

Hi Seamus!!!! Craig is multi talented...not just brewing. He used to be a videographer for weddings, and yes he has written and sang songs...and recorded them professionally.
I consider him a good friend of mine, even though we have never met in person!
I hang out on Friday nights with Seamus at Craigtubes cast on JustinTV.

I watched a few videos but gave up after the episode where he was talking about losing beer and people donating money for his beer fund. He lost me when he started talking about "needing" beer for the week and how he didn't need donations because he would borrow money to buy beer.

I watched a few videos but gave up after the episode where he was talking about losing beer and people donating money for his beer fund. He lost me when he started talking about "needing" beer for the week and how he didn't need donations because he would borrow money to buy beer.
My take on that one is just that he was so thankful that he wanted to take time to thank the guys on the justin.tv cast who, of their own accord, decided to chip in for a few beers after Craig's misfortunate event when his keg spilled out it's entire contents during the cast.

I've been a fan of Craig's videos for a long time but I finally got around to checking out his Justin.tv cast on Saturday (Fri over there). Its actually pretty cool way to spend an evening kicking back with a few home brews, listening to some tunes and having an online chat with some other homebrewers - it's kind of like an online homebrew club. Unbelivable I met a homebrewer who lives in the same town as me in NZ in the chat!

My take on that one is just that he was so thankful that he wanted to take time to thank the guys on the justin.tv cast who, of their own accord, decided to chip in for a few beers after Craig's misfortunate event when his keg spilled out it's entire contents during the cast.

yeah, I'd be stressing a little if the only batch I had at the time was spreading across the floor.

Craig's a pretty good guy.
someones been impersonating him using craigtube as a name on the UK and canada forums :mad:

So far all I've seen from him are extract brews from the can? I know he's not much on AG, but he could at least do an extract with some grains & hops, like the kits from midwest...

So far all I've seen from him are extract brews from the can? I know he's not much on AG, but he could at least do an extract with some grains & hops, like the kits from midwest...

keep watching his videos. he does a lot of partial mash and has now started AG.

Craig's videos are great in my opinion. To me he highlights what being a homebrewer is all about. As homebrewers we create beer, which means that the government is not taxing us on that alcohol, or at least as much as they are when we buy beer at the store. We can also create the kinds of beers that we like and we don't have to bow down to the pilsner lager style that has flooded America since prohibition. Craig hits on a lot of these points on his channel, and I think you're hard pressed to find someone who has a better philosophy regarding homebrewing. I started as an extract brewer and you can make some absolutely fantastic beer that way. I have done some all grain and it is better beer for the most part than extract, but to me the difference is kind of like comparing store bought apple sauce to homemade applesauce. The homemade is better, but the store bought is pretty damn good as well.

He got me into the hobby!
I've quickly moves to AG but if it weren't for that video, I would never have started!

I agree with the above post.
I was watching random videos on youtube and came across CraigTube, BAM...
Got me started with gusto, done 1 coopers kit then went straight to All grain, I still watch every one of his videos and enjoy them alot. Thanks CraigTube.

He just posted another homebrew Wednesday video. He started an AG 1 gallon sour beer Dan sent him. His & others videos on youtube got me started as well. Still use my Cooper's Microbrew FV.

I watched his videos quite a bit awhile back. I picked up several things from the videos. He does ramble a bit from time to time, and the "gulp gulp... ahhh" bit that seems to be on every homebrew youtube video is a bit over done... But he's easy to listen to, and he does give sound advice in as much as for what he is doing. I don't recall if he did more than one all grain video back when I was looking at them.

Over all, there are few home brew tubes that are worth watching. His is definitely worth watching.

Brewing TV is very good as well.

Back