A cucumber mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, sure why not? Cucumber is a light flavor though, so you might consider juicing some of them to make up a portion of your water. Let us know how it turns out! :mug:

That and the avocado mead mentioned in another post actually sound pretty nasty. But then again, I don't care for cukes unless they are in pickle form. Of course, I haven't even tried my first mead yet, so I am just shooting from the hip.

I say go for it. Good luck. You have braver tastebuds than mine!

Sounds good. I'd probably peel them and throw them in a food processor and then bring the mixture up to a boil with some water before throwing it in.

Sounds good. I'd probably peel them and throw them in a food processor and then bring the mixture up to a boil with some water before throwing it in.

I wouldn't boil them. Grapes are not boiled when making wine. Apples aren't boiled when making cider.

Cucumbers do have faint subtle tastes IMO. I would say throwing in just a few mint leaves to add a litle bit to the "cool" cucumber theme would be fun.

Arpolis said:
Cucumbers do have faint subtle tastes IMO. I would say throwing in just a few mint leaves to add a litle bit to the "cool" cucumber theme would be fun.

+1

Maybe a little lime too!

Also, about juicing them, that's a good idea! Press em in a cider press!!!

I'm actually something of a cucumber fiend, so I would say go for it. I would suggest going for the kirby cukes rather than the salad cucumbers as you will have more "meat", less skin and less seed goo.

When this is done, please email or fax me a bottle :mug:

Cool beans i got enough positive comments to make me decided on trying it out so ill make a batch and post up some pics and taste comments to tell you how it is and if its super good ill give some of you a bottl for a little more broader opinion thanks everyone for the encouragement :D

Just make sure and use a ton of cucumber water!! They are so mild that, unless you use most of the water as cucumber water, the honey will way overpower it.

Bhunter87 said:
Just make sure and use a ton of cucumber water!! They are so mild that, unless you use most of the water as cucumber water, the honey will way overpower it.

That would be true ok ill do like a 1:4 or 1:3 cucumber water to water i think that would be good no?

I would actually think that using nothing BUT cucumber water might be the way to go... unless by cucumber water you mean cucumber juice. If we are talking water that has been left to sit after putting cukes in it, I would say use every drop of that and not dilute...

I think pressing them through a cider press would be best... And do like 1:3-1:2 cucumber juice

You have to think about how mild they are, and how overpowering honey is...

I'm curious to see just how many cucumbers it takes to make a quart of pure cuke juice.
I've been meaning to start some cukes soaking in vodka as an experiment; think I'll get that going today.
Regards, GF.

Latest posts

Back