Possible leak??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim1970

Reaction score
I filled a corny keg last week, purged off o2, put about 12lbs of Co2 and left in my refrigerator to carbonate on its own. (I don't have it permanently hooked up to gas) 4 or 5 days later I hooked the gas back up to the keg, with the regulator set at the same pressure, and when I did i could hear more gas going into the keg. I also hooked the gas back up last night, and the same thing happened (I heard more gas going into the keg). is this normal, or does this mean i have a leak in my Corny keg?

Thanks

Tim

that sounds about right to me. I would not think you had a leak. give the release a quick, short pull. If it goes PPFFTT it's not leaking.

The bad leaks are the ones you don't notice. I had one I just found today - the second gas line coming from my regulator uses a flare fitting and I forgot the little plastic washer in there so it was a metal-metal fit with no teflon tape. The tank is now near empty after having that line connected to a second keg since last week.

Buford said:
The bad leaks are the ones you don't notice. I had one I just found today - the second gas line coming from my regulator uses a flare fitting and I forgot the little plastic washer in there so it was a metal-metal fit with no teflon tape. The tank is now near empty after having that line connected to a second keg since last week.

Bummer! I blew half a tank a couple of weeks ago when my homebrewed gasket blew in the middle of the night. I was using a flip top gasket between the regulator and the tank. Didn't want to spend 25 cents on the proper gasket and it ended up costing me 10 bucks in gas... DOH!

Yeah, had a bad connection on my quick releases last yera na dlots a whiole 20lb tank worth.

I also have a keg spring a leak on the bottom. Slow pinhole leak under the rubber. Beer everywhere. Lucky I caught that though, since I just happened to notice it before going to bed and if I hadn;t there would have been 5 gallons of beer on the floor the next morning. Did I mention I have carpet bordering the keggerator?

Dennys Fine Consumptibles said:
Yeah, had a bad connection on my quick releases last yera na dlots a whiole 20lb tank worth.

I also have a keg spring a leak on the bottom. Slow pinhole leak under the rubber. Beer everywhere. Lucky I caught that though, since I just happened to notice it before going to bed and if I hadn;t there would have been 5 gallons of beer on the floor the next morning. Did I mention I have carpet bordering the keggerator?

that ought to make for a happy SWMBO

In answer to the original question, it sounds like the beer is just absorbing the CO2 causing the pressure drop. It doesn't mean that there isn't a leak somewhere, but at the same time it's normal behavior for a pressurized keg off of the gas.

Buford said:
In answer to the original question, it sounds like the beer is just absorbing the CO2 causing the pressure drop. It doesn't mean that there isn't a leak somewhere, but at the same time it's normal behavior for a pressurized keg off of the gas.

good point. I am just a firm believer in the RDWHAHB theory. :mug:

Back