Going to get into Growing my own.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cubslover

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to order a couple Rhizomes from Midwest.

I'm in North Central Indiana and on well drained soil.

Temps during the winter can drop into single digits and negatives, summer heat can be oppressive in the 90s with high humidity.

I really want to go with Cascade and think I will do fine,

What other styles do you recommend?

Nugget, Cascade, and Centennial are probably your best bet. All three grow very well. I have about the same weather, and I've grown all the varieties I mentioned. They all do well as long as you water them properly.

I ended up ordering Cascade, Nugget, and Willamette.

Thanks all. I did some more research and now have to decide on a trellis idea.

My Willamette hasn't done very well in 2 full cycles. I got nothing useful from it this year - at all. I don't know if it's my region, the past weather patterns, or what, but my Tettnang and Nugget both do really well.

Post back again at the end of this year or next :)cross:) as to how yours does. I'm giving mine this year to shape up or i'm yanking her out of the ground.

Haha, will do. I'm going to have to look around the back yard and see what my best course of action will be. Most of my yard, minus the big veggie garden is in shade and some 20' tall contraption will be a pain to build and maintain. I think I may start one at each end of my privacy fence and train them to run up and down.

Spotted Dog, from what I've read, you don't need them 20' in the air to get results, just let the vine grow to a good length, no matter how you go about it.

My Willamette and Mt Hood have done nothing in 3 years. They get the least amount of sun out of my 14 mounds, so I am reluctant to claim it is climate/soil as opposed to my own situation.

Yeah, good point. All three of my mounds are all-things-considered equal, so that's why i'm stumped. Maybe if i know that Willamette needs MORE sun that Nugget & Tettnang, then i'll gladly rip it up and replace it immediately.

Cubslover said:
Haha, will do. I'm going to have to look around the back yard and see what my best course of action will be. Most of my yard, minus the big veggie garden is in shade and some 20' tall contraption will be a pain to build and maintain. I think I may start one at each end of my privacy fence and train them to run up and down.

Spotted Dog, from what I've read, you don't need them 20' in the air to get results, just let the vine grow to a good length, no matter how you go about it.

Cubslover,
You know it!!! I'm going to start as easy as I can, if it works it works! If it doesn't I'll go fancy :)

Less than 20' is fine, but it will limit the production of your hops. The first two years that I grew hops, I was working with a 12' trellis. I then upgraded to what I have now. It's a 15' trellis, but I can adjust it higher or lower. Lower for harvesting, higher when my hops need extra room. Last year, I extended it to 20' for the entire grow season...the year before it was 15'.

Now...it could be the fact that my hops have a better root structure after the extra year...but I noticed that when I extended to 20', my hops produced about 25% more. Plus, they weren't as bushy because they didn't have to expand outward as much. This made it a lot easier to keep them seperated between different varieties.

Back