mobile keg first diy projects

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danger831

Reaction score
built a mobile keg system and a carboy wand today thought I would share.I can't post pics whats the deal?help
showphoto.php
[/url][/IMG]
showphoto.php
[
showphoto.php
[/url][/IMG]/url][/IMG]
showphoto.php
[/url][/IMG]

OK now I can post pics but I need practice something seems wrong sorry

You need to upload them to your gallery, and link them from there.

Either that or use photobucket, picasa, flikr or any photo hosting site of your choice.

Assuming your copying the codes from your image gallery use the "Direct Link" instead of the linked thumbnails. Unless you wanted linked thumbnails, in which case you omit the surrounding img tags since the linked thumbnail has img tags inside it already. Oh, and consider rotating your images before uploading them.

<<<Linked thumbnail

mobile_keg001.JPG
<<<Regular IMG link

mobile_keg005.JPG

Interesting. That is a five gallon keg, I take it?

Right now, my portable rig uses two 3 gallon kegs. However, I am going to add a removable collar to raise the lid about 8" and allow it to hold 5 gallon kegs.

PDR_0185_2_.jpg

That is awsome.
More details please:

How did you make it?
Parts list?
keg size?
what are you using for CO2?

Nice fit having just the top of the keg clear the cooler, and the co2 tank is stabilized as well. I like it!
-Ben

How did you put that perfect hole for the keg in the top of that cooler? Bandsaw? Is it sealed somehow? I just bought/filled a 20 oz CO2 for just this sort of thing. Could you pull out the keg and take some pics of the inside of everything please?

yep 5 gallon corney,marine ice cube cooler with max cool top,9oz paint ball co2,reg made out of a oxygen reg with paintball umbilical adapter and a T fitting with a 29/32 inch 0-30 pressure gauge,tap and thats about it works great keeps beer nice and cold I put small disposable plastic shot cups in the fishing pole holders for sampling that was a big hit at the party.I took the keg out Sunday morning and it was still completely full of ice almost no melt I put the cooler on my back porch for the ice to melt and drain even with a giant hole in the top and it sitting out side in Houston TX it still had ice in it this morning.It probably cost me about $200 but it is well worth it now I can take beer anywhere and it's very convenient and people love it at party's.The biggest pain is cutting the top it is thicker than a jig saw blade and you have to position it just right do to the hump in the cooler and the curve inside the lid it's not bad just takes some careful measuring.I will take some more pics tonight if I get a chance.

Yeah, cutting a big hole in the lid would be a pain. I just used a hole saw to bore the hole for the beer lines in mine.

how did you connect your faucet directly to the disconnect? Is there an adapter of some sort that you can just screw onto the disconnect in place of a 1/4" barb? I'm totally stealing your idea and building one of these for tailgate parties at football games!

how did you connect your faucet directly to the disconnect? Is there an adapter of some sort that you can just screw onto the disconnect in place of a 1/4" barb? I'm totally stealing your idea and building one of these for tailgate parties at football games!
I have one and it works great. you can buy all the parts separate but FYI: http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=398

Thanks RC0032, that's exactly what I was looking for! How does that CO2 charger work? That looks like a better option than hauling a 20oz tank w/ regulator around. Do you basically purge the entire contents of the CO2 cartridge into the keg at once, or do you dispense it in smaller amounts?

Thanks RC0032, that's exactly what I was looking for! How does that CO2 charger work? That looks like a better option than hauling a 20oz tank w/ regulator around. Do you basically purge the entire contents of the CO2 cartridge into the keg at once, or do you dispense it in smaller amounts?
Its used for dispensing only. you cant carb a beer with it :drunk:

now that you have the picture thing figured out, can you post some more? specifically of all the plumbing and maybe one of the inside? i want to try to make this for tailgates. great job on this.

now that you have the picture thing figured out, can you post some more? specifically of all the plumbing and maybe one of the inside? i want to try to make this for tailgates. great job on this.

There isn't really any plumbing to be had. The faucet is mounted directly on the corny with one of these, and there's not a lot to the CO2 side (You can see the regulator running to the gas disconnect, and I think he just drilled out one of the cupholders to recess the CO2 tank.)

The trick seems to be in cutting the hole for the corny - there's a fairly small floor area inside the cooler where the keg would sit, so lining up that hole in the lid is key. Also, the actual cutting will probably be a pain in the arse, since I think the lid's too big for a jigsaw (and obviously a hole saw won't work!)

I've got all the parts for this downstairs, apart from the cooler (I really wanted the white one the OP used, but can't find it locally), so this will probably be a project for me in the next week or two. I'll try to document it and do a build thread.

I'm in the middle of building one of these as well... I am using this cooler, which is close but not exactly the same size as the OP... I haven't cut the hole yet, I'm going to have a friend help me who's a lot handier than I. I will say that I think my cooler is an inch or two shorter than the OPs, I took the lid off it's hinge, set a corny inside, and then rested the lid on the edge of the cooler and the corny is about 3-4 inches higher than the lid. The OPs only shows the black rubber part of the corny, mine will show well over an inch of metal as well.

Same cooler that I was going to snag this weekend.

Yeah, the marine coolers that the OP used have thicker walls (and presumably lid) than the regular ones. I can find it online, but still absolutely nowhere local.

That inch shouldn't make a difference, since you'll be drawing your beer from the bottom of the keg anyways, although I do like the look of the keg being flush with the lid.

That inch shouldn't make a difference, since you'll be drawing your beer from the bottom of the keg anyways, although I do like the look of the keg being flush with the lid.

Yeah I'm not worried about it not holding temp, like you I just would prefer the keg to be flush with the lid... Oh well, maybe I'll come up with something to disguise the keg....

For those of us who are not very bright ;) Can you post a more detailed how to for the Co2 regulator you made? Complete parts list too? I wouldlike to make one for my rolling trashcan kegerator I am building. Save me the hassle of swapping my dual guage regulator in an out.

I think the original poster had an old oxygen regulator that he converted. Personally, I wouldn't try to jury rig something that can go boom like a pressurized CO2 cylinder can. For my build, I shuffled over to kegconnection.com and got this regulator, which is made to fit on pin valve (paintgun) cylinders. I then headed for ebay, and managed to score 3 7oz paintball tanks AND a 20oz tank for $30 shipped. The 7oz tanks cost me $2.50 each to fill at Sports Authority, and are perfect for this.

oxygen regulators run normally at around 3,000 psi and are tested 1.5 of that min.paint ball tank=1,200psi but don't go buy one they are expensive mine was free

Back