2 Row Brewers Malt Vs. Pale Ale Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckeyebrewer

Reaction score
I just got my order from my local brew store. When I ordered the malt 3 WEEKS AGO, I asked them to order a 50lb bag of pilsner and a 50 lb bag of 2 row. Instead of ordering me 2 row they ordered a bag of pale ale malt. Unfortunately the people at the brew store don't know jack s#%t about brewing. The guy at the store told me "it's the same thing as 2 row". I know that pale malt is a type of 2row but they are not the same thing. I tried to explain it to the guy at the store. I told him an Accord and a Pilot are both Hondas but they aren't the same thing. He didn't seem to follow me. So my question is:
Can I use Pale Malt as my base malt?
What different flavor profile will it give me?
Will it throw off my recipe that much?
I know that pale malt is around a 3.5 lovibond compare to 2row being a 1 lovibond. So besides a slightly darker beer what would be the difference? Thanks a bunch......LHBS dummies!!!

I guess I'm a dummy, because I thought that Pale Malt was just another term for 2-row like Crystal or Caramel malts. Different names, same thing.

hmm I don't really know...

I've got 2 sacks of 'pale malt' at home and about a half sack now of '2row'....both from the same company.

I expect the 'pale malt' to be a bit more malty and dark than the 2row but I hope some other folks chime in :D

Pale Ale malt is a little darker than 2row but not by much. You can substitute it for 2row straight up and it should not have any adverse effects on your brews.

I've always understood the those terms were interchangeable.

I hear people use them as if interchangeable but they are not. Of course that doesn't mean you can't use them interchangeably though.

2-Row 1.8 lov
Pale Malt 4.0 lov

I think they tend to be interchangable as far as US maltsters go. If it's English pale malt, though, it would probably be more like maris otter malt. I can't remember where I read that- and of course I can't find the link right now- but that seems to be what I remember.

sounds good....at least I can proceed with my brew on Saturday. Thanks for the posts fellas. To bad I already had half a bag of pale malt in the basement....oh well never hurts to have 75lbs of pale malt sitting around.

Just to confirm:

There is 2-row malt and Pale 2-row.

The pale is a bit darker and maltier but not so much it can not be interchanged.

In BeerSmith there are 5 grains listed under Pale Malt.

Pale Malt (2 row) Belgian
Pale Malt (2 row) UK
Pale Malt (2 row) US
Pale Malt (6 row) US
Pale Malt, Maris Otter

If all they are saying is that it is Pale Ale Malt, couldn't it even be six row?

Edit: Just read the link by buckeyebrewer. Pale ALE Malt is listed with the High Temp Kilned Malts like Vienna and Munich.

Malty vs. Mild Malty for 2 row

Pale Ale Malt - (2-Row) Use with 2-Row Base malt for rich malt flavor and additional color. Nice in ales

So it's not the same . . . .

If the Pale is darker then how come its called "pale" instead of "darker" ?

Anyway, obviously there is some difference because you can go to the online beer ingredient ordering places and they have both different kinds of malts and list the description, color, etc..

Thanks for posting the thread buckeyebrewer :mug:

I have wondered about the differences in base malts myself and a good car analogy is an excellent way of making a point.

Cheers
BeerCanuck

OP:

Slightly :off: but from whom in Columbus did you order the grain, and what did they charge you? You can PM me the info if you don't want to openly post.

My brew today depleted my 2-row

Thanks

My LHBS gets their supply from Northwest. Their Pale Ale Malt is different from the regular 2-Row. I use the Pale Ale Malt as my base malt for almost everything American. It doesn't work as well in blonde ales. For that use the 2-row. I use a German Pilsner in my lagers and will use a British Pale Ale for English, Scottish beers and the like.

Basically any American Pale Ale, IPA, Amber, Red, Brown, Porter, or Stout the Pale Ale malt is great.

http://www.northamericanmalt.com/Products.asp

I just received a call from a rep from the Briess company. She said the following.
The pale malt is a high temp kilned malt...therefore it is considerably maltier in character than the 2 row brewers malt. She also said that of course the pale malt is slightly darker than the 2 row and they could be exchanged in a recipe that 2 row is the base malt but the flavor profile would be maltier.
She did enjoy my car analogy and said that I was exactly right. Overall it sounds like there is a difference in the 2 malts and that 2 row brewers malt should be used in blonds or very light ales that you prefer a non malty finish.

Did you ask her why the pale ale malt is darker than the 2 row? What I mean is, why didn't they call it pale-but-still-darker-and-maltier-than-regular-2row malt?

I just received a call from a rep from the Briess company. She said the following.
The pale malt is a high temp kilned malt...therefore it is considerably maltier in character than the 2 row brewers malt. She also said that of course the pale malt is slightly darker than the 2 row and they could be exchanged in a recipe that 2 row is the base malt but the flavor profile would be maltier.
She did enjoy my car analogy and said that I was exactly right. Overall it sounds like there is a difference in the 2 malts and that 2 row brewers malt should be used in blonds or very light ales that you prefer a non malty finish.

If you are talking about the Briess Pale Ale Malt from Gentiles I can tell you that I've used it in many recipes that called for 2 row and they all came out fine. I will also tell you that the Briess Pale Ale Malt sucks compared to the Munton's Pearl Malt that they sell. I get much better efficiency and much better flavor with that Munton's malt. The difference in price is only $18 and you get 5 more pounds with the Muntons.. Just my humble opinion. Not a fan of Briess malts though...

Back