CLone IPA recepie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbrewr4fun

Reaction score
I am very fond of a particular ale served at the Mcmenamins brew pub here in town. I found a clone recepie for it online a few moments ago and am thinking of using it for my first brew. I just want to know what you guys think of it as a first brew. The only problem is I am not sure if they are specifying a specific extract or if any light extracts will do. They also don't seam to specify what kind and how much yeast to use.

7 lbs Liquid Light Extract
1.5 lbs Dry Light Extract
.5 lbs Crystal Malt 40L
.75 oz Chinook (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
.5 oz Chinook (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
1 oz Cascade (7.3%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min
1 ea White Labs WLP001 California Ale

Any light extract will work.

The yeast is White Labs WLP001 and can also be replaced with WYEAST 1056 or a standard dry yeast. Take a look in the Homebrewing Wiki or How to Brew for information on how to make a yeast starter if you choose the liquid yeast.

Safale US-56 is basically the same (from what I have read) as the WLP001 & 1056 strains. Since it is a dry yeast it is a heck of a lot cheaper and easier to deal with than liquid strains.

I just brewed an IPA using it and was quite happy with it. The finished beer is very clean tasting.

What beer are your cloning?

I use to live up In Stumptown. In fact I will be coming up for a visit soon and am looking forward to a beer at the Fulton!

Safale US-56 is basically the same (from what I have read) as the WLP001 & 1056 strains. Since it is a dry yeast it is a heck of a lot cheaper and easier to deal with than liquid strains.

I just brewed an IPA using it and was quite happy with it. The finished beer is very clean tasting.

Not US-56 anymore, they had to change, presumably because since it is the same yeast as 1056, there was some copywright problems or something... all too similar. Now it's US-05.

On their website they list all grain ingredients, not extract. It's safe to assume that with extract you can go with as light of extract as you can get for the fermentables and let the crystal malt add color.

I threw your recipe into BeerSmith and it matches pretty closely to the numbers they have on their website. I came up with 1.058 for the OG and mcmenamin's says their OG is 1.062. The hops, I'm not sure about. I haven't had their Sunflower IPA so I don't know if the Chinook is bolder or they blend well with the Cascade for flavor and aroma. So as far as that goes your guess is as good as mine.

Not US-56 anymore, they had to change, presumably because since it is the same yeast as 1056, there was some copywright problems or something... all too similar. Now it's US-05.

I knew it changed recently but through it was the other way around. Is it still the same yeast with a different designation, or a totally different strain?

Back